Thread: Trend Micro 2008 kills Spybot

Default Trend Micro 2008 kills Spybot

I have had Spybot and Trend Micro PC-cillin on my computer for a year with no problems. Now I just renewed Trend Micro, which means installing Internet Security 2008. To install it, it INSISTED I uninstall Spybot (and also SpywareBlaster).

I have found old threads here that report similar stories with Trend Micro.

Can I safely re-install Spybot?

If no, what anti-virus is similar to Trend Micro and compatible with Spybot?

To me Trend Micro is just using desperate attempt to eliminate competition (feel free to disagree on that). You should be able to "force" your way through the installation. What Trend Micro claims about incompatibilities with Spybot is the Resident Shield (if I'm correct).

Well, you can uninstall Spybot anytime you want if you wish.

Anti-virus programs are just anti-virus programs/application. If I would to classify anti-virus programs that are "similar" to Trend Micro it would be "weird" (variables such as protection and specific features that are unique to each program). I think you were asking what programs that can co-exist with Spybot? Er... avast!, Avira AntiVir, and AVG to name a few.
    http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=31
    -

Thanks. Yes, I wanted to know what programs can coexist with Spybot, and you answered that.

I also wanted to know if I can safely re-install Spybot, now that I have Trend Micro 2008 installed. What I especially like about Spybot is Teatimer -- will that work OK with Trend Micro?

I'm not so familiar with Trend Micro because I have never used it before. But I see no reason why you shouldn't activate TeaTimer. So go ahead in install Spybot.

I don't think that Trend Micro should give you any problems after the installation.

TeaTimer should work with Trend Micro with no problems : )

Hello,

There's absolutely no reason to uninstall Spybot-S&D.
    If some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled.

It seems that the problem is one of Trendmicro's processes, PcScnSrv.exe, that conflicts with our immunize feature - and Trend Micro wants to turn the immunization off.

That's the way to deactivate the immunization of Spybot-S&D:
    Run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of "Resident SDHelper".

Please have a look at this Trend Micro support solution: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...tID=EN-1033903

I'm sorry that there is no other solution at the moment.
    Please be patient, we are working on this problem.

This item has also been discussed in our forum here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9535
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?