Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows95 - USER32.DLL Error/I know its been posted before, BUT...

I have the same problem with Spybot 1.4, Windows 95 and the user32.dll. So I went back to 1.3. However 1.3 no longer works well as after a scan I keep getting an error in the scan window in Dutch or German or something.

Oh yeah, and I keep getting checksum errors when I go to update through the net. So I download the update installer. Still get the cheksum errors. I've attached screenshot of the error message.

If they no longer support 95 I guess I will no longer be sending in my donations. While they weren't much they were something.
    Last edited by A31Chris; 2005-12-28 at 21:11.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I believe that you may be having a problem because of an old "advcheck.dll" program being use in Spybot 1.3 but I can’t be sure because the entire error message that you received was not displayed.

Please locate and post the latest Checks.yymmdd-hhmm file produced during a scan so that we can see the actual error message that you are getting..

Note: By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

Two methods to copy that information:
    • Method 1:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Pervious reports. Look for the last Checks.yymmdd-hhmm from when you got the error message. Open it. To copy to the Clipboard > highlight the portion you want to copy (or Right click and select Select All) > Right click > Copy.
    • Method 2
      • The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm (and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm) files are stored in the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy to the Clipboard > highlight the portion you want to copy (or Right click and select Select All) > Right click > Copy.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

OK here you go:

--- Report generated: 2005-12-28 12:06 ---

Error during check!: NewDotNet (Datei C:\WINDOWS\wininit.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because
    it is being used by another process) ()

Congratulations!: No immediate threats were found. ()

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
    2005-11-25 Includes\Cookies.sbi
    2005-11-25 Includes\Dialer.sbi
    2005-11-25 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
    2005-11-25 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
    2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi
    2005-11-25 Includes\Malware.sbi
    2005-11-25 Includes\Revision.sbi
    2005-11-25 Includes\Security.sbi
    2005-11-25 Includes\Spybots.sbi
    2005-02-16 Includes\Tracks.uti
    2005-11-25 Includes\Trojans.sbi
    2005-11-25 Includes\PUPS.sbi

Any other info you need? What should I do next?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The probable cause of the error you are getting is an old "advcheck.dll" program. Download and execute the installation program (spybotsd_advcheck.exe) to install the new advcheck.dll. The download link is:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_advcheck.exe

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks. I'll try it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    The probable cause of the error you are getting is an old "advcheck.dll" program. Download and execute the installation program (spybotsd_advcheck.exe) to install the new advcheck.dll. The download link is:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_advcheck.exe
    Thanks SB fan. That worked. No more errors after scan.

So long as one of Spybots Scan engines can still take the recent updates and runs on 95 I'll keep sending them money when I can.

The USER32.dll problem is weird. SB 1.4 says its not there but it is. It must want a newer version. They should work on clarifying that error message. You can't replace USER32.dll on 95 because its in use. Wonder if you could do it from a command line in DOS? Hmmm...

OK while it now seems to scan(after only 1 scan) without any errors I still cannot download the updates, even trying different servers. Here is an image:

Is this image blurry enough for you guys? Because I can get it blurrier if you find it too easy to read and want it blurrier. Had to degrade image until it fit into the file manager. lol.

Hello,

Many users have reported that they are not able to download updates. The 'Search for updates' reveals updates, but they cannot be downloaded. Often a 'HTTP Error 403' or 'bad checksum' is displayed. This has a simple reason - millions of people trying to download from the same server, which can't handle such a burden. In combination with the growing size of the detection file this is becoming a serious problem. We are currently considering possibilities to improve the situation. This includes the search for additional servers and ways of more effective compression. At least one server will soon be added, others will follow hopefully.

In order to overcome the problem for now, if you try again, have a second look at the menu bar. It has a pull-down item to select a mirror. Click the arrow beside it, and select a different location (try the ones locatest nearest to you first), where you'll most probably have better chances to download.

This information is also available in our FAQ:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/20.html

For more informations on updating please do also have a look at this link on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html
    In section 4 you'll see how to select a download location nearest to you.
    If this sounds too difficult please try to download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

For more information please have also a look into our forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...light=checksum

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for the info Sandra. I tried different mirrors right off the top. None seemed to work. I will download the installer for the definitions(.exe) and do it that way for now.

Default Plans for Windows 95 Compatibility

It looks like no one has been able to get Spybot Ver 1.4 running under Windows 95.

Are there any plans to change this or will all subsequent releases preclude Windows 95 operation?

Quote Originally Posted by strategy101
    I went to the FAQ section and did everything as instructed and I still get.

"Link to missing Esport USER32.DLL: End menu"

AND

"Create system failed; code 31
    A device attached to the system is not functioning"