Thread: Spybot resets Opera cookie preferences

Default Spybot resets Opera cookie preferences

In Opera, I can set the cookie preferences for each site.
    The default setting is that Opera deletes all new cookies after exit.

For sites I use often, typically sites that I want to remember me (login), I allow their cookies to stay after exit. I have to do a setting change for each site I want to remember me.

I believe that Spybot resets all the cookie settings when I immunize after a Spybot update.

This means that I have to change the settings again. I have to repeat this for each and every site, because this setting is done individually for every site.
    This is terribly frustrating.

Spybot 1.6.
    Opera 9.62.
    Windows XP.

Hello Lancelot,

we tried to reproduce this behavior, but "unfortunately" everything works fine. Can you give us a detailed description or steps to reproduce for this issue? Thanks in advance!
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Hello Lancelot,

we tried to reproduce this behavior, but "unfortunately" everything works fine. Can you give us a detailed description or steps to reproduce for this issue? Thanks in advance!
    First more details about why I believe Spybot makes this happen.

I believe Spybot is responsible for this behaviour, but I can not be 100% sure. This "error" have happened to me many times, and I have usually blamed Opera.
    This time, I updated Spybot in the middle of the day and before I returned to many different websites (I normally update Spybot just before I shut off the pc, and I do not update Spybot very often).

When I returned to the websites, many of them forums (including this forum), I had to log in again. I don't usually need to log in, so I checked the browser cookie settings. The settings was as I suspected reset to default values (deleting cookies after Opera quits). This was true for all the sites where I had made individual settings so I had to login everywhere.

I had visited many of them earlier that same day, and after updating Spybot the settings got changed to default. Therefore I'm 99% sure Spybot did this.

How to reproduce this
    • Go to a website and do individual cookie settings. Remove the "delete new cookies" checkmark.
    • Update Spybot and immunize.
    • Return to the site.

Have you already tried this? Perhaps it depends on what kind of updates. Maybe not all updates will trigger this bug, I don't know. I'll try this after next update.

Illustration screenshot.

Last edited by Lancelot; 2008-11-29 at 01:54. Reason: Imageshack url problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    How to reproduce this
    The steps a little more detailed:

• Go to a website and do individual cookie settings. Remove the "delete new cookies" checkmark.
    • Quit Opera.
    • Update Spybot and immunize.
    • Return to the site. Now the cookie settings should be reset, your cookies gone and your login sessions gone.

I uninstalled Spybot and reinstalled it. I tried to reproduce the bug.

Here is what I did step by step. All uninstalling were done from the Windows control panel.

1. Uninstalled Spybot 1.5.2.20 (some remnants of the older version).
    2. Uninstalled TeaTimer 1, 6, 0, 30.
    3. Uninstalled Spybot 1.6.0.31
    4. Ran the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg tool.
    5. Installed Spybot 1.6.0.30 (including TeaTimer 1, 6, 0, 0).
    6. Updated Spybot, tried to isolate possible bug triggers by installing only 2 items at a time. In between the updates I went to a handful websites to see if the Opera cookie settings changed. Continued this until Spybot was fully updated. Teatimer updated to version 1, 6, 0, 30.

Results
    • The Spybot version is now 1.6.0.30 and Spybot is fully updated. It used to be 1.6.0.31. Are you not offering the latest version on all of your mirror sites? I downloaded from your server, either "Download from our server Safer-Networking Ltd. #3" or "Download from our server Safer-Networking Ltd. #4".
    • In the Spybot immunization: Opera used to have 4 categories of protection. It now only got 3 (content, cookies, plugins).
    • The immunization bug "Opera plugin immunization fails on missing file" does not occur any more. (Previously it would not immunize the 43 plugins.)
    • Opera cookie settings on the sites I tested did not change.

I don't understand why the cookie settings was not reset now. Perhaps remnants from an older version caused problems?
    As you can see in my results list, other things is changed also.

I'm not allowed to edit, I'd just add that I did follow this advice for uninstalling.

I don't know if you work on this issue, but it happened again. Now I am completely sure. Spybot did reset the Opera cookie settings.

A few minutes ago, I updated Spybot. Many new Opera cookies in the definitions. I immunized.

Immunizing Opera cookies can reset the cookie settings to default values for all the Internet. Site specific settings lost.

Default Problem with the Wand after Spybot update

For people unfamiliar with Opera, the Wand is a feature that fills in username and password for you.

After this update, the Opera Wand does not work on MySpace. This is actually not so unusual. It has happened many times after a Spybot update. But I have no Idea why it affects MySpace and not other pages.

In the Wand password manager, I can see that my username and password for us.myspace.com still exists. But for some reason it does not work after Spybot is updated. The site is still the same, us.myspace.com.

I'll have to manually fill in the username and password, and the Wand will work on MySpace again. It will be working at least until next Spybot update....

Not all Spybot updates affects Opera in a bad way. Only sometimes. The last update is such an example.

(The last update I downloaded had 3 items, one of them a F/P fix. I did not look at the dates, but I think you know what files it is.)
    Last edited by Lancelot; 2008-12-10 at 07:25.

The 1.6.1 just needs some further investigation into FF detection matters, than it'll get public as well (right now only tho 1.6.1 beta fixes this).

We can guess a few things pra-actively, but for some browser config file changes, we can react anly after new browser versions have been released
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)