The following instructions have been created to help you to get rid of "Rootkit.hearse" manually.
Use this guide at your own risk; software should usually be better suited to remove malware, since it is able to look deeper.
If this guide was helpful to you, please consider donating towards this site.
Rootkit.hearse creates a service and a winlogon entry without user consent to be loaded on every windows start. It creates two files in the system directory which the user cannot see because they are hidden from the Windows API. If the internet connection is lost due to the infection.Removal Instructions:
ADDITIONAL REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS: Please restart your computer in safe mode and run Spybot S&D again. Then allow Spybot to start on next boot and remove the last remains of Rootkit.hearse.
Please use Windows Explorer or another file manager of your choice to locate and delete these files.
Make sure you set your file manager to display hidden and system files. If Rootkit.hearse uses rootkit technologies, use our RootAlyzer or our Total Commander anti-rootkit plugins.
- The file at "<$SYSDIR>\zopenssl.dll".
- A file with an unknown location named "zopenssl.dll".
- The file at "<$SYSDIR>\zopenssld.sys".
- A file with an unknown location named "zopenssld.sys".
You will have to use a global search for files without a name specified. Be extra careful, because just the name might not be enough to identify files!
Important: There are more files that cannot be safely described in simple words. Please use Spybot-S&D to remove them.
You can use regedit.exe (included in Windows) to locate and delete these registry entries.
If Rootkit.hearse uses rootkit technologies, use our RegAlyzer, RootAlyzer or our Total Commander anti-rootkit plugins.
- Delete the registry key "zopenssl" at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\".
- Delete the registry key "zopenssld" at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\".
- Delete the registry key "zopenssld" at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\".
- Delete the registry key "zopenssld" at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\".
If neither Spybot-S&D nor self help did resolve the issue or you would prefer one on one help,
- Please read these instructions before requesting assistance,
- Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum where a volunteer analyst will advise you as soon as available.