Thread: Cannot update

Default Cannot update

It has been happening for a few weeks now.

I have disabled my firewall outright.. but it still wont let me update.

Version: 1.6.0.31

Last edited by Alan1987; 2008-11-24 at 00:56.

I am experiencing the same problem.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Alan1987:

Spybot's update facility starts by downloading the following file:
    • http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini

Can you access www.safer-networking.org or something blocking access to that site?

If you can not using Spybot's update facility, you can update the detection files manually by downloading and executing the spybotsd_includes.exe file. The file is located on the following Web page:

The current download item is:
    • Detection updates© 2008-11-19 - product description
      md5: BD538FA2C58FB283856E9B5FD6FA16DB

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

_____

Mahree:

Do you have SDUpdate.exe authorized to access the internet in your firewall?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you for your answer, Alan.

I do believe that I have given access to Spybot in my firewall, zonealarm. Although I did not see SDU update.exe.

I can access www.safer-networking.org and I do see where I can download the latest update.

However, I would prefer to be able to use Spybot's update facility if possible.

"Spybot's update facility starts by downloading the following file:
    · http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini "

I don't understand how to do the above. I have entered http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini " in my browser and it asks to open or save. I clicked open and got notepad and could not understand the note. Should I have clicked "save". And then what? Sorry that I am so ignorant about this tech stuff. My Spybot updates were working fine before this last week.

Mary

Mahree (Mary):

Quote Originally Posted by Mahree View Post

"Spybot's update facility starts by downloading the following file:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini "

I don't understand how to do the above. ...
    There is really nothing "to do" with that file. That file is downloaded internally by the SDUpdate.exe program and a failure retrieving that file results in the message "Error retrieving update info file!".

Since you can access that file, the problem does not appear to be that something is blocking access to www.safer-networking.org. The only thing that I can suggest is that you delete the ZoneAlarm entry for Spybot, start Spybot's update process and reauthorize Spybot to access the internet in ZoneAlarm.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

It is still not letting me update.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Alan1987:
    • http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini

Can you access www.safer-networking.org or something blocking access to that site?
    Yes i can access that URL.

My ISP does force its users to use a transparent proxy on port 80 - not sure if that has something to do with it - it never has before affected my ability to download updates and nothing has changed recently.
    Last edited by Alan1987; 2008-11-30 at 06:55.

Alan1987:

Since your ISP requires a proxy, try setting the proxy information in Spybot:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update'. Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up dialog will come up were you can enter the required information.