Thread: Installing Spybot On Vista 64-Bit System (error message)

Default Installing Spybot On Vista 64-Bit System (error message)

I installed Spybot on a new system that is running Vista 64-Bit. When I was installing it, it did install, however, I did get an error message (not the compatibility one with Ad-Aware). I didn't write down what the error was, and it installed, and I updated it and am running it and it works. However, at the beginning steps, all it did was give me step 3 of 7 to back up my Registry, and then went right to the program. I would have to uninstall it an then reinstall it to see what the error message was. Does it seem like I have a problem?

thelordpuffer: There should be no problems with Spybot-SD running on a Vista Operating System 32-64 bit. I'm not sure if your error was a one time only error or it can be reproduced. What matters to me is that the program is running fine and updating as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    thelordpuffer: There should be no problems with Spybot-SD running on a Vista Operating System 32-64 bit. I'm not sure if your error was a one time only error or it can be reproduced. What matters to me is that the program is running fine and updating as normal.
    Thanks drragostea....However, I did uninstall the program and reinstalled it again and got the same error message (I should have wrote it down, but like a dummy, I didn't). The program is working fine, but the only difference that I see is when I was running XP Pro, when I first opened Spybot, it would ask me if I wanted to delete certain unnecessary files. It does not do this with my new 64 bit Vista Home Premium SP1 system and the error message. What do you think? Thanks again.

It's very likely the security center integration, which might happen if you run the installer without manually elevating it (right-click, select Run As Admin). 1.6.1 will do this on its own.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    It's very likely the security center integration, which might happen if you run the installer without manually elevating it (right-click, select Run As Admin). 1.6.1 will do this on its own.
    Thanks....I ran it as Administrator and it still did not give me the option when it was opening to get rid of Temporary or Unused Files. Is there some reason I should uninstall it again and do something different when reinstalling it so that the error message does not appear during installation? Or can I somehow just change the Security Center Integration? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by thelordpuffer View Post
    Thanks....I ran it as Administrator and it still did not give me the option when it was opening to get rid of Temporary or Unused Files. Is there some reason I should uninstall it again and do something different when reinstalling it so that the error message does not appear during installation? Or can I somehow just change the Security Center Integration? Thanks again.
    Hello again thelordpuffer. I don't think there should be any reason for you to uninstall Spybot-SD unless you are having problems . The main point of the message is to tell you that you have unnecessary Temp. files in your system, so removing them can be beneficial because it can decrease the scanning time. By default, Spybot will prompt you (in v.1.6.x) if you have more than 100 Temp. files in your system. At the moment, from your description your system has not "accumulated" () 100+ Temp. files so Spybot will not prompt you.

For the Security Center integration, it should have done it by default, but I'm not so familiar with it, so PepiMK or a member of Team Spybot can answer that question with greater detail.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Hello again thelordpuffer. I don't think there should be any reason for you to uninstall Spybot-SD unless you are having problems . The main point of the message is to tell you that you have unnecessary Temp. files in your system, so removing them can be beneficial because it can decrease the scanning time. By default, Spybot will prompt you (in v.1.6.x) if you have more than 100 Temp. files in your system. At the moment, from your description your system has not "accumulated" () 100+ Temp. files so Spybot will not prompt you.

For the Security Center integration, it should have done it by default, but I'm not so familiar with it, so PepiMK or a member of Team Spybot can answer that question with greater detail.
    Thanks again drragostea

Default Can PepiMK or a Member of the Spybot Team Help Me?

Can you please take a look at my post and see if you can help? Thanks.

Esteemed Member

Take a look in Start Menu, Control Panel, Security Center and expand the Malware protection (might be anti-virus, I'm not on a PC at the moment), to see if Spybot S&D is listed as up to date. If so, everything's fine.

Bitman

Thanks Bitman