Thread: Resident Spybot for All Users

Default Resident Spybot for All Users

I have installed and regularly updated Spybot on an XP Pro system. When I am in my account (administrator) the Spybot - resident runs in the background and performs realtime protection.

I had assumed that this was the case for all users on my system. Recently, I realized that my user account was the only one being protected in this fashion.

I would like to know how to activate the Spybot - resident function for all users when the log on to the system. I have tried to check the various settings when logged on to my account and have not seen any obvious way to accomplish that goal.

Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

gmb283:

TeaTimer's startup entry is stored in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive as opposed to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive so that it will not start for all uses unless activated on a per user basis.

To activate TeaTimer for a user:
    • While logged on to the user account that you want TeaTimer to start in, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode (answer "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Tools > Resident.
    • Check the following:
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

If you would like to add TeaTimer as a Startup entry so that all users (current and future) have TeaTimer running when they logon, add the following registry entry to your system:

Code:
     [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "SpybotSD TeaTimer"="C:\\Program Files\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\TeaTimer.exe"

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks "md usa spybot fan"!!

Just the information I was looking for.

It would be a nice enhancement to allow the administrator account to control this via settings from within the program.