Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem removing Virtumond and Smitfraud.C-CoreService

Default Everything looks good!

Hello again - I think everything seems to be functioning great! I'm no longer experiencing ad popups and my desktop is stable. I can't thank you enough!

I deleted my old restore points as you instructed and uninstalled Combofix. I then updated to Internet Explorer 7 and used the Windows Update website to download all the indicated critical updates for both Windows (including XP Service Pack 3) and Microsoft Office (Including Office 2003 Service Pack 3). I followed your instructions for adjusting the settings of Internet Explorer and made sure Windows automatic updates were on. I actually wasn't aware that updating regularly was important for security purposes, so thank you for all your tips and advice!

I just have one more question - I noticed when I ran the Kaspersky online scan that 12 infected items were identified (they are listed in the log file in my previous post). Did Kaspersky delete these files? If not, can I do so myself? Also, for regular maintenance I scan my system about once a month with CCleaner to delete old cookies and unnecessary files. Do you recommend against this, or have any suggestions other than updating regularly and keeping my antivirus and antispyware software up-to-date?

One last thing - I use Symantec Antivirus, and I don't think it runs unless I open the program (i.e., I don't think it is constantly on the lookout for threats). Is this something I can change? If so, should I?

Thank you so much again for all your help!

Default One more question

I'm sorry, I had one more question that I forgot to include in my last post - in your instructions you had me disable Spy Sweeper's real-time protection. Is this something I should enable now that my computer is ok?

Thanks again!

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

I just have one more question - I noticed when I ran the Kaspersky online scan that 12 infected items were identified (they are listed in the log file in my previous post). Did Kaspersky delete these files? If not, can I do so myself? Also, for regular maintenance I scan my system about once a month with CCleaner to delete old cookies and unnecessary files. Do you recommend against this, or have any suggestions other than updating regularly and keeping my antivirus and antispyware software up-to-date?
    Hi

Those were in ComboFix quarantine folder and should be gone when ComboFix was uninstalled. You may use CCleaner to clean temporary items and cookies occasionally.

I'm sorry, I had one more question that I forgot to include in my last post - in your instructions you had me disable Spy Sweeper's real-time protection. Is this something I should enable now that my computer is ok?
    You may re-enable it now if you want
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

Note:If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.