Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: virtumonde.prx trojan please need advice

Emeritus

hi,

ok looks good to me. you can remove combofix like you did before:
    start>run
    combofix /u

start HJT, click the "Scan" button. check the items below, close any open windows, then click "Fixed checked"

O15 - Trusted Zone: *.whataboutadog.com
    -------------------------------------
    if all is good:

Reducing Your Risk:
    The Short Version

1) Keep your OS,(Windows) browser (IE, FireFox) and other Software up to date to "patch" vulnerabilities.
    2) Know what you are installing to your computer. Alot of software can come bundled with unwanted add-ons.
    3) Install and keep them all updated: one antivirus and two or three anti-malware applications. If not updated they will soon be worthless.
    4) Refrain from clicking on links or attachments you receive via E-Mail, IM, Chat Rooms or Social Sites, no matter how tempting or legitimate the message may seem.
    5) Don't click on ads/pop ups or offers from websites requesting that you install software to your computer. Do you trust the website?
    6) Don't click on offers to "scan" your computer.
    7) Set up and use limited accounts for everyday use, rather than administrator accounts.
    8) Install a third party software firewall.
    9) Consider using an alternate browser and E-mail client.
    10) If your habits include: warez,or p2p file sharing then you are much more likely to encounter malicious code. Do you trust the source?

longer version in link below.
    happy safe surfing out there

Re: item 1: your java version is old:

Vulnerabilities in versions of Sun Java may be responsible for some malware installs via your browser.

It is important to keep Sun Java up to date and also to remove older versions.

* 1. Uninstall old versions of Sun Java via Add/Remove Programs.
    * 2. Click the Remove or Change/Remove button
    * 3. Reboot your PC if prompted.

to check if you have the latest version of Java and to download the latest version:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml?ff3

i have never used any imaging software. I back up what little i want to save to a 2gb usb flash drive and to a free internet storage site (50GB free space)then i format and reinstall the OS, at least once a year i do this.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Default Looking good, Thanks

Shelf Life,
    Appreciate your help and thanks. Happy Holidays.

I removed combofix. I removed and updated Java. I also went over to Firefox and to Thunderbird for browsers and email. You didnt say to do it but I ran Spybot and it came up with Virtumonde, but I ran the fix. Re ran it again and it was gone and everything is clean.
    My OS is XP SP2 should I go to SP3? I heard there was some problems with it, so I was holding off. Never had a virus in 5 years but Im working away from home off and on and my children were on my computer so I suspect it was them who got me in trouble. I make backups to a portable hard drive but thought an image my be faster. I appreciate all your help and left a donation in the Spy Bot box. Again thanks.

Orion

Emeritus

hi 0ri0n,

your welcome and thanks. SP 3 has been out for 6? months now and should be fine to install.
    some info here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...3/default.mspx

I make backups
    always good practice, i imagine imaging or a RAID configuration would be much easier than dragging/dropping files like i do but i really dont have much that i need to backup. It could pretty much fit on a 2gb usb flash drive.
    heres a web based site that will give you 50GB free. thats huge. my xp HD is only 80gb. Transferring large files is kind of slow. Its another option anyway:
    http://www.adrive.com/

Never had a virus in 5 years
    you must be doing something right then. Click happy kids (and "adults") can develop into a potential malware problem.

happy safe surfing out there.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?