Thread: Technician Use of SpybotSD in the BartPE Environment

Question Technician Use of SpybotSD in the BartPE Environment

Hello,

There are technicians who would like to utilize SpybotSD in the BartPE (bootable CD) environment in the corporation to clean spyware off of infected PCs. How would licensing work if it is only used to clean PCs and is not actually installed on them? There is no plan on distributing or installing SpybotSD to end end user population. We only want it as one of our many cleaning tools.

The corporate licensing scheme seems to be geared toward scenarios where SpybotSD is actually installed and resident on user's PCs. Ideally, we would like the ability to license technicians not systems for cleaning purposes only.

Sean

You would still license it to keep it ready for all computers, right?

We had a prepared a service license agreement for such cases, but no one really seemed interested e.g. in keeping track of the number of cleaned machines as an alternative.

How many machines are we talking about?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Technician Use of SpybotSD in the BartPE Environment

I don't understand what you mean by "license it to keep it ready for all computers". Would I be interested in purchasing a copy for each network node? If that is what you mean, no, I would not be interested in purchasing a license for each network node.

What I am interested in is licensing per technician or per BartPE bootable CD burned without having to take time out of our days to track licenses.

As you have noted, people just aren't interested in keeping track of the number of scans run (as cleaning may take multiple scans) or or number of computers cleaned (we need to work more and push papers less).

What I am interested in is permission to utilize your wonderful tool to clean spyware infections from end user PCs by using a bootable Bart PE CD (not actually installing it on the end users' PCs) and then returning the end user's PC to the field without Spybot installed on them and paying you a fair price to be able to do so.

Default An Additional Thought...

Quote Originally Posted by smbober View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by "license it to keep it ready for all computers". Would I be interested in purchasing a copy for each network node? If that is what you mean, no, I would not be interested in purchasing a license for each network node.

What I am interested in is licensing per technician or per BartPE bootable CD burned without having to take time out of our days to track licenses.

As you have noted, people just aren't interested in keeping track of the number of scans run (as cleaning may take multiple scans) or or number of computers cleaned (we need to work more and push papers less).

What I am interested in is permission to utilize your wonderful tool to clean spyware infections from end user PCs by using a bootable Bart PE CD (not actually installing it on the end users' PCs) and then returning the end user's PC to the field without Spybot installed on them and paying you a fair price to be able to do so.
    I know it isn't cool to reply to your own quote. But, another option would be a Company License For Technician Use Only.

Quote Originally Posted by smbober View Post
    I know it isn't cool to reply to your own quote. But, another option would be a Company License For Technician Use Only.
    Alternatively, if you were feeling very generous to the techs of this world, you could say that SpybotSD is free for anyone to use in the PE environment and still make some dough off of donations and real time protection.

Sean<--daring to dream

The first question was just hinting at the fact that whether you install it on all machines or keep a CD at hand, the purpose is always to protect/clean all machines that might be affected, so the use would actually be the same.

One big difference between Small Business and Corporate Edition for us is the update capacities we have to maintain; a in-house service thing would mean that it would be more like the later, which imho already scales very fair. That's why I asked about what number you're talking about.

The reason for counting uses in the service license agreement was a simple one: there's a huge difference between the tech or small shop that cleans a few machines a month and a huge shop that cleans a dozen or more machines a day and charges the customer $100 up to much more each. A fixed per technician fee would be always unfair as keeping track of uses is complicated.

We're not greedy, but we've got quite a team of people working full-time on it (just take a look at the recent detection range improvements in the news of the main website), and from the anarchistic (in a strictly philosophical meaning) standpoint, better take it from the companies who use computers to earn money themselves as well than from private users, right?

PE will get even more important in 2.0 though, we might discuss a few new options there
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)