Thread: Help battling Trojan

Default Help battling Trojan

Hello folks! I hope I could get some assistance here.

I have been battling with this trojan for the past 2 weeks or so and so far it has had the upper hand.

Win32:Trojano-3522 [Trj] is the name of the malware (according to avast!) and the symptoms it has exhibited so far is that it copies itself as an exe file in and named after the folder it is present in. For instance, the path avast! brings up is F:\FUN DRIVE\2k5\temp\temp.exe\[UPX].

I have 2 hard disks partitioned into 2 each and this pest has copied itself into all of them. It appears that it hasnt gone into any of the system folders, at least I havent noticed Avast! giving me a warning with a path into any of the system folders.

I used to run AVG anti virus and it spotted it and was able to delete the copies the scan detected. But after sometime I get the virus-detected warning message and not necessarily after a reboot. The thing is after running system scan and removing the instances of the trojan, I scan again it it says my system is clean. After sometime, I get the warning message again.

So I uninstalled AVG and got around to installing Avast! which friends been telling me is superior to AVG. I thorough scanned my system and moved all instances of the trojan found to the chest. But the situation is the same as previously: Folders assessed to be clean elicit a warning message after sometime.

I searched for topics covering what Im experiencing but found none containing the exact name of the trojan residing in my system. Still, I followed the advise (as much as I could determine relevant to my situation) I have seen on similar forums. I scheduled boot time scan and set it to move all instances to the virus chest. For a few hours after that I was beginning to feel positive that the scan took care of it. Of course, it didnt.

There has been no noticeable evidence that the trojan causes any issues with browsing or response of my system. I use Opera but checked whether IE was compromised. It isnt, at least not when I tried browsing on it. I'd say the only effect is the irritating copies of the exe file I see in my folders. Naturally I dont try to run the exe file.

Spybot doesnt detect it.
    Im currently scanning with ewido to see if it may make any difference but somehow my hopes arent high.
    Im using Avast! 4.7 home edition on winXP SP2.

I'd deeply appreciate it if some of you kind folks could give advice on how to deal with it as Im trying to put off formatting my PC until absolutely necessary. Below is the HijackThis log file

Cheers. ?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 03:04:52, on 29/04/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    D:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\VM303_STI.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    D:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile\audevicemgr.exe
    d:\PROGRA~1\INTUWA~1\Shared\MROUTE~1\MROUTE~2.EXE
    d:\PROGRA~1\SONYER~1\Mobile\CONNEC~1\CONNMN~1.EXE
    D:\Program Files\eMule\emule.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe
    D:\Program Files\KONAMI\Pro Evolution Soccer 5\pes5.exe
    D:\Program Files\Browsers\Opera\Opera.exe
    E:\Shared Installers\aswclnr.exe
    E:\Shared Installers\aswclnr.tmp
    C:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...arch.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...arch.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BigDog303] C:\WINDOWS\VM303_STI.EXE VIMICRO USB PC Camera (ZC0301PLH)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Phone Connection Monitor.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yhexbmesuk.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yhexbmesuk.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...?1137439817796
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - d:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - D:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

Hello and sorry for the wait.
    If you are still in need of assistance please go here and post a link back to this topic to flag a helper.

If you have waited four days for advice post here.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

This topic has been closed to prevent others with similar issues posting in it.
    If you need it re-opened please send me or your helper a pm and provide a link to the thread.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016