Quote Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Uninstall AVG, Spybot Completes.
Reinstall AVG, Spybot hangs at end of scan.
200 other PC's this isn't happening.
This is an example of "They play well together ... mostly!" and the difference between mostly and when they don't is usually a condition particular to the specific machine.

Because this is a client's PC and there are time constraints in returning it, you may not have the time available to track this one down, however I suspect the trigger for the problem is AVG seeing something Spybot is trying to open (or fix) as having a problem it also wants to act on. As you know, during the Spybot scan the AV system is also doing its own thing when files are opened etc.

The trigger could possibly be in the temporary internet files, perhaps a particular cookie, or in one of the browser bookmarks. As I recall the IE browser bookmarks are the last thing to be scanned. You haven't mentioned Firefox so I am assuming the browser in use is either IE6 or IE7.

You could try cleaning out the browser cache and stored cookies and also copying the content of the "Favorites" file to somewhere safe where it won't be scanned (eg a usb flash drive or an external usb hard drive) and then temporarily deleting all of the contents of "Favorites". This can be done quite quickly and at least may narrow down the search.

If Firefox is present and has a lot of bookmarks then the scan of its bookmarks can take quite a while. Again temporarily getting rid of them would be a worthwhile test to narrow down the problem.