Thread: SDHelper.dll problem with Internet Explorer

Unhappy SDHelper.dll problem with Internet Explorer

Sometimes when I first open Internet Explorer is hangs with just a blank window. Further efforts only leave me with "this program is not responding" "close program now". Which I do and then it reopens just fine.

I suspect that is relate to an Internet Explorer pop-up that I'm also getting sometimes, whic also leaves no option but to shut it down.

The pop-up reads:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an
    add-on and needs to close

Add-on Name: SDHelper.dll
    Company Name: Safer Networking Ltd
    Description:

FWIW I'm also running Norton 360 and the Google Toolbar.

Any ideas how to go about stopping this from happening?

Thanks,

Rich

What version of Internet Explorer are you running (Help>About)?

I'm not sure but I did recall that there seemed to be a problem with the Google Bar and SDHelper.

Do you think SDHelper is necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    What version of Internet Explorer are you running (Help>About)?

Hi Doc,

I have Version 7

I'm not sure but I did recall that there seemed to be a problem with the Google Bar and SDHelper.

I guess I could try and check with Google. Not sure how easy that is...

Do you think SDHelper is necessary?
    I have no idea. I would think Spybot would need to use that library, or it wouldn't be included.

This is the first time I've posted here. Is this all users, or is there anyone from SB answering questions?
    Last edited by Cybersailor; 2008-12-08 at 09:01.

Smile

Cybersailor,

There have been lots of post in relation to the Spybot BHO and Google tool bar not playing nicely together, however most of them relate to various combinations of specific versions. I don't know what version of Spybot you are running, what version of SD Helper, what version of Google tool bar or even what operating system you have, so the following comment is fairly general.

First, if you are not using the latest version Spybot and/or the latest version Google toolbar, and your operating system is not up to date with the Microsoft updates, then you should update them. (That assumes your OS is a still supported one). If the problem still occurs then post back with all the relevant information.

In the meantime

(Choice 1), Try either disabling or uninstalling the Google Tool bar. I don't use it so I can't tell you whether it can be disabled via the tools/manage add-ons menue in the browser.

or

(Choice 2) disabling Spybot SD Helper. Start Spybot, Click on mode, click on advanced, click on Yes for the next dialogue. Now click on Tools, then Resident. In the Resident screen untick the SD Helper box, exit Spybot and reboot.

Both items are more or less optional, in that you can use them or not. If they play together without problems well and good, if not you chose which one you use and which one you don't. One only gives you some added convenience, the other one provides very valuable real time protection.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2, 32 bit with Windows 7 both have the latest updates.
    The toolbar and Spybot are updated.

I uninstall the toolbare before, but I hesitate to do it again since I have a lot of info entered in to it.

I'm wondering why the library(.dll) file would cause a problem? I would expect an execute file but not .dll file... What does exactly does Spybot SD Helper do and what won't Spybot do if I disable it? IOW, what kind of "very valuable real time protection"?

I'd like to find a way for them both to live together.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Cybersailor,

There have been lots of post in relation to the Spybot BHO and Google tool bar not playing nicely together, however most of them relate to various combinations of specific versions. I don't know what version of Spybot you are running, what version of SD Helper, what version of Google tool bar or even what operating system you have, so the following comment is fairly general.

First, if you are not using the latest version Spybot and/or the latest version Google toolbar, and your operating system is not up to date with the Microsoft updates, then you should update them. (That assumes your OS is a still supported one). If the problem still occurs then post back with all the relevant information.

In the meantime

(Choice 1), Try either disabling or uninstalling the Google Tool bar. I don't use it so I can't tell you whether it can be disabled via the tools/manage add-ons menue in the browser.

or

(Choice 2) disabling Spybot SD Helper. Start Spybot, Click on mode, click on advanced, click on Yes for the next dialogue. Now click on Tools, then Resident. In the Resident screen untick the SD Helper box, exit Spybot and reboot.

Both items are more or less optional, in that you can use them or not. If they play together without problems well and good, if not you chose which one you use and which one you don't. One only gives you some added convenience, the other one provides very valuable real time protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersailor View Post
    I'm wondering why the library(.dll) file would cause a problem? I would expect an execute file but not .dll file... What does exactly does Spybot SD Helper do and what won't Spybot do if I disable it? IOW, what kind of very valuable real time protection"?
    I can't be sure because I do not know the workings of this Resident Shield. You can always try (I can't promise it'll work) the "Manage Add-Ons" option if Google Bar does not have a manual deactivation.

You might want to read this thread by md usa spybot fan, on how Spybot protects you against malware:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281
    -

I'm wondering why the library(.dll) file would cause a problem? I would expect an execute file but not .dll file... What does exactly does Spybot SD Helper do and what won't Spybot do if I disable it? IOW, what kind of "very valuable real time protection"?
    Cybersailor,
    SDHelper is a "browser add on" that provides real time scan and blocking whilst you are using the browser. At the present time it has in excess of 20,000 sites and files in its black list and some 380 cookies. If you disable it, then you won't have this front line protection.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-12-12 at 12:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Cybersailor,
    SDHelper is a "browser add on" that provides real time scan and blocking whilst you are using the browser. At the present time it has in excess of 20,000 sites and files in its black list and some 380 cookies. If you disable it, then you won't have this front line protection.
    Thanks for the details. I do recall from a few years ago that I had it turned off because it was causing some problems. At some point I turned it back on because I DO want to keep it running. Guess I'll have to keep after the Google folks. I wish they would work this out directly with the Spybot S&D smart guys.