Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest Symantect AntiVirus blocks Spybot and TeaTimer

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by patflgn View Post
    Including Microsoft patches, for example MS06-42 in the August, 06 updates. I delayed that one until I could research the many, many issues listed in the bulletin, then read about a bug in the patch. I have not applied that yet and probably won't anytime soon. I see that MS decided to re-release it 8/22 to fix the bug; but they've now issued the following statement: "...We had planned to release the update today, but last night we found an issue that would prevent some customers from being able to deploy the update. As a result, we decided to hold the release until it meets the appropriate level of quality for such a broad distribution..." The full MS statement is here if you're interested: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/08/22/711402.aspx
    Pat,

The fix for this was released two days after the August 22nd notification.

Microsoft Security Advisory (923762): Long URLs to sites using HTTP 1.1 and compression Could Cause Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 to Unexpectedly Exit

Excerpt from that bulletin:
    Revisions:

• August 22, 2006: Advisory published
    • August 24, 2006: Advisory updated to direct customers to the revised version of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-042 that includes new updates for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1.
    I have actually given up on keeping up with such changes, since it's impossible to truly be aware if you aren't constantly scanning official sites for such issues. Since as the blog stated, this type of re-release issue last occured 2 1/2 years ago in early 2004, the risk of a failure is much less than the risk of an exploit being created shortly after the release of an update. In fact, though this issue was caused by the previous fix, the fact that it was identified and fixed so quickly shows how well the Microsoft system is working overall.

FYI, I don't bother trying to keep up with all of this myself since AplusWebMaster does it so well in the General Security Alerts forum here. Though I updated to the new version of MS06-024 as soon as I was notified by Automatic Updates, his posts in the MS Alerts thread kept me up to date with several links.

As you stated, I don't trust my choices for new purchases simply by vendor name any longer, but I do find it necessary to trust those vendors regarding updates of the programs themselves, including notification of problems. Microsoft didn't fail in this regard, they simply had an unforseen hiccup and admitted and solved it quickly. This only strengthens my willingness to trust their updates over the long term.

Bitman

Default Thank you

Bitman,

I had initially thought that the MS06-42 re-release was still on hold because of this article I received a link to in an email from PCMag on 8/29. The information turns out to be out-dated based on your post and AplusWebMaster's thread.

Thank you very much for your reference to AplusWebMaster's thread. It's excellent and is going to be my primary source going forward.

Thanks also for your rational approach. I tend to get emotional about the vendors sometimes, and I need to control that.

Pat