Thread: v1.6 becomes unresponsive after checking for problems

Default v1.6 becomes unresponsive after checking for problems

I found the question "below" in the forum (the closest topic I could find) but could not find an answer. Searched the threads, etc. I have the same problem.

I am running xp pro as well and installed (and uninstalled) v1.6 several times. It is finding the malware & etc. problems but becomes "Not Responding"...

"Hi,
    While running the program's search and destroy function, the program stops responding. I waited, nothing happens. Had to use "End Task" function to close program. I just re-installed the program. Read through forum for help, tried suggestions. Nothing works. Computer is not over heating, processor working great, etc. Can not figure out what is going on. I have Windows XP Pro for O/S."

It is finding the malware & etc. problems but becomes "Not Responding"...
    What malware problems is it finding, and what has been done about them?

Can you provide some further details of the problem.
    Where exactly does it become "Not responding", does it complete the scan and stop during the fix section or does it not complete the first part of the scan, if so at what point.

Can you try running a spybot scan (and fix) in "Safe Mode". (Keep pressing the F8 key during bootup).

Please indicate what antivirus software you are using. You can try doing a full antivirus scan first, and if that is clear then try a Spybot scan with the antivirus turned off (Off line of course).
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-12-10 at 23:10.

What malware problems is it finding, and what has been done about them?
    It has found 30 different problems

Can you provide some further details of the problem.
    I have run a report, should I copy it and past it into this thread?

Where exactly does it become "Not responding", does it complete the scan and stop during the fix section or does it not complete the first part of the scan, if so at what point.
    It completes the scan but will not go further - the program becomes (Not Responding)

Can you try running a spybot scan (and fix) in "Safe Mode". (Keep pressing the F8 key during bootup).
    I will hang up and try this asap

Please indicate what antivirus software you are using. You can try doing a full antivirus scan first, and if that is clear then try a Spybot scan with the antivirus turned off (Off line of course).
    Tried it the second time + with the virus scan disabled - McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.7
    I have not tried running Spybot while offline. Will try that as well
    Thanks, I will get back to you after working in safe mode.
    lesc3

Did the same thing again in safe mode

It has found 30 different problems
    At the moment you need only be concerned with those shown in RED. Any shown in green are just tracking entries. Did you try getting Spybot to fix those that are in RED?

I have run a report, should I copy it and past it into this thread?
    If the report/s have been generated by Spybot then YES please. These can be accessed from the Tools/View Report in Spybot. Run a scan and fix (as far as you can), then choose View Previous report and look for a report named Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and one called Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.txt that correspond in time with that scan and also if present one called Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt. These will relate to the last scan. The other report is one accessed by the Green arrow with View Report next to it.
    Please don't post Hijack logs in this part of the forum.

It completes the scan but will not go further - the program becomes (Not Responding)
    If you can attach a screen shot it would help make this clearer

I have not tried running Spybot while offline. Will try that as well
    Yes, please close any browsers that are open before starting the scan and, also turn off Teatimer before starting the scan. I also suggest you clear out your browser cache/s, cookies and your temporary files before starting the scan.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-12-11 at 00:28.

Default Spyware is now cleaned, Spybot still hangs

As a follow-up...
    Steps taken: logged off internet, shut off antivirus protection, run spybot, stop check as each problem showed, quickly run fix problem, repeat with each problem, run spybot on start-up.
    Spybot still hangs (Not Responding) after checking problems.
    I believe that I have now sucessfully cleaned all problems.
    Thanks, LesC

Quote Originally Posted by lesc3 View Post
    ...Spybot still hangs (Not Responding) after checking problems...
    I interpret this as "Problem not resolved".

If you want to continue to try to resolve this problem can you clean out your browser caches, cookies and temporary files, then with Teatimer and AV disabled run a full Spybot scan with the browsers closed and off line or from a safe boot. Please let the scan finish, then post the report named Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and one called Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.txt that correspond in time with that scan. If at the end of the scan it becomes "Not Responding" can you copy down exactly what is written in the Spybot status bar at the bottom of the screen just above the task bar and include that in your next post. Incidentally, at the point where it is "Not Responding" have you tried clicking on the red cross (exit) at the top right hand side of the screen?