Thread: Help opening Spybot

Default Help opening Spybot

I need help opening Spybot. Before I updated it, I had my old Spybot set up to run an update check and then a full system check. Well, the new update check hangs meaning I can't open Spybot. Is there a way to open Spybot without doing those two checks so that I can institute new settings?

Aleena, have you configured Spybot to run a scan during startup? Your post is too vague, because it lacks detail. What Operating System are you running? Can you access Spybot from your desktop?

My operating system is Windows XP. I have Spybot set up to load during Start Up, but that is not the problem. The problem is that it will not open when I click on it since the update search hangs.

I tried to open it from the taskbar, Quick Start menu, and even from My Computer. It still searches for updates and might do a scan when I try to open the program.

It goes to the Spybot-S&D Updater first, and then hangs there. I click Abort to go around the updater, and the program won't open.
    Last edited by Lady Aleena; 2008-12-13 at 00:56.

I really don't think Spybot-SD "loads" during startup, unless you are referring to it's Resident Shields (which I doubt that is causing the problem). I'm understand that you cannot get past the Updater screen because it hangs?

Try uninstalling Spybot-Search&Destroy, reboot, and reinstall a fresh copy from:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Aleena View Post
    My operating system is Windows XP. I have Spybot set up to load during Start Up, but that is not the problem. The problem is that it will not open when I click on it since the update search hangs.

I tried to open it from the taskbar, Quick Start menu, and even from My Computer. It still searches for updates and might do a scan when I try to open the program.

It goes to the Spybot-S&D Updater first, and then hangs there. I click Abort to go around the updater, and the program won't open.
    With Spybot closed, using Explorer, goto C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy. In that folder you will find a file called configuration.ini. Rename it to oldConfiguration.ini. Then restart Spybot. It will automatically produce a new Configuration.ini file using the default settings.

Greyfox...I am so sorry that I had not come back sooner to see you most excellent solve! Thank you so very much!