Thread: Spybot hangs on Virtumonde, then nothing

Default Spybot hangs on Virtumonde, then nothing

This has been going on for months, and I've been so busy I'm just now trying to track it down. When I run Spybot, it runs fast till it gets about 1/4 done, then virtually stops as it shows Virtumonde.sci and then Virtumonde.sdn. It can sit there for hours or all day and will finally finish if I give it time. At the end, there are only the usual suspects to fix, no Virtumonde.

I've been researching, and I don't have the pop-ups associated w/ this Trojan, but about the same time that Spybot got strange, my pc slowed way down, seemingly overnight. I blamed it on my cable/server.

I have Kaspersky, and I've run Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpy, and SpywareHunter. Nothing was found. I hope someone will help me find out if I'm infected and if so, what to do about it.

Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra, I'm sorry to be so slow in replying. I thought I would get an email notification if someone responded, but I didn't.

My version is 1.6.0

Hello?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

darcifaulkner:

Quote Originally Posted by darcifaulkner View Post
    ... I thought I would get an email notification if someone responded, but I didn't. ..
    To get notification if responses to this thread: While displaying this thread, try clicking on "Thread Tools" (in the menu bar at the top of the thread) and selecting "Subscribe to this Thread".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Hanging on Virtumonde

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    darcifaulkner:

To get notification if responses to this thread: While displaying this thread, try clicking on "Thread Tools" (in the menu bar at the top of the thread) and selecting "Subscribe to this Thread".
    I am a newcomer to your forums and having had the same trouble with
    skybot hanging on Virtumonde forever would like to try your suggestion but I cannot find the 'Thread Tools' you mention in your reply. My apologies for butting in on your thread.
    Dixon

Ok, but I'm still hoping for some help w/ my original question.

Default virtumondedll

Hi Marcy, sorry i'm unable to help.but i have a similar problem to yours. My scan hangs on virtumondedll for about 40 mins then clears, and carries on at a quick rate until it comes accross Zlob downloader & schmit, then it slows right down again, it takes about one and a half hours to scan just because of those two items. It may just be coincidence but my PC was clear until i installed Kaspersky, i have since uninstalled it, what a waste of money !

Hi, dic penderyn. That's a little more info to add to the puzzle, and it helps to know this exact same thing is happening to other people. When I bought Kaspersky, I paid to install it on 2 computers for 2 years (the best bargain), and I haven't been overly impressed w/ it on any level. When 2009 is over, I'll probably either go back to Symantec or try something else.

Actually, around the time this all started, I was beta testing some digital art software, and I've been thinking it was the culprit. I uninstalled everything relating to it, but if this is a virus/trojan, then it's already in there. I just don't know why none of the spyware killers have been able to identify or locate it.
    Last edited by darcifaulkner; 2008-12-13 at 14:29.