Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary files

Question Temporary files

I downloaded Search & Destroy today.
    The first thing I am promted when starting program is if I want to delete temporary files.

1. Why am I given so short time to decide?
    2. Why is the default yes? I didnt want to delete...

Now several folders with pictures is gone on this computer!

maybe not from this deleting, but please tell me how this program decide what folder is temp AND if anyone has any idea how I can recover it, please tell me.

and please consider this default setting.

Best regards Magnus
    Last edited by Magnus1972; 2008-12-14 at 23:10.

The goal of removing Temp. files in the machine is to speed up scanning time. The general idea is: more files=more scanning time and vice-versa. The default option is Yes, but you can always turn it off using a tweak in Spybot Wiki:
    http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Registry_Tweaks
    -
    In addition, it may be good to clean your Temp. Files because malware may drop something malicious in the Temp. Files folder.
    1. The default time to choose is 15 seconds. Not really short, just simply Yes or No.

Spybot will check if there are 100 or more Temp. files, then it will prompt you. If there are not 100 Temp. files yet, then Spybot will not prompt you.

2. If you know that removing the files, will speed up scanning time, then you would have chosen yes. There is nothing valuable or of worth in the Temp. files...

Deleting the temp. files will not delete anything else in the computer. Just the contents of the Temp. folder, nothing else.

I do not know what happened to your photos.

Default Temporary Folder Cleaning

I also find this new feature annoying and simply want to turn it off permanently. Although I read the link to change it, I am not happy carrying out Registry edits manually.
    Surely this feature (on/off, time delay and file count) should be controlled from within the "Settings" menu.

Note - I use the Microsoft "Disk Cleanup" utility on a weekly basis (before starting Spybot), so my Temporary Folder is kept under control.
    Last edited by grahamrice; 2009-02-08 at 11:53.

Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.6.2 gives you the option to turn it off permanently.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    -

Default Temporary Folder Cleaning - Problem Cured

Thanks for info. I now have version 1.6.2 installed and I was able to clear the "Offer to clean temporary files folder" option.

Default Temp Folder Cleaning

I just starting having a similar problem. I start a scan the little box pops up asking me if i would like spybot to clean my temp folder but it just vanishes before i can click anything. i did notice that i never updated spybot things from 2010-2013.i did update it last week but the problem still happens. and i'm happy to say after i did all the updates a decent amount of things were found. i did e-mail someone about the little box vanishing but i didn't like the answer i got.

They told me i'm using an outdated version of spybot and told me to remove it and download the most recent one. but when i read about other people removing there outdated spybot they had several problems. Is there anything i can do besides deleting spybot 1.6.2?
    Last edited by Jacob d; 2013-06-06 at 23:36.

I think the "delete temporary files" window used to appear for about 15 seconds normally,but there were times when it flashed up quickly and disappeared,the same as is happening with yours:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...fer-disappears
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...files-text-bok
    There isn't really any fix for that,that I know about,though,other than updating to the newer version.

I believe the prompt to delete temp files can be disabled if you'd prefer that,though.
    I've looked,but can't find exactly where in Spybot 1.6.2 that was.But I believe if you open Spybot,click Mode,Advanced Mode(say yes to the prompt),Settings,Settings,and scroll through the list,the option to turn off the offer to delete temporary files should be in there somewhere.
    The offer to delete temporary files was made because having a large amount of temp files could be a lot of the reason a Spybot scan was slower,so if you do decide to turn it off,you could delete temp files manually every so often,if you notice a Spybot scan is taking longer than usual.

Unhappy Help, I now cannot save draft emails properly

Since loading Spybot, scanning then removing suspect files in temp folder the settings are incorrect for saving drafts in Thunderbird, (the dialog says No.)
    Please advise me, where can I correct the settings for the Temp files?
    Andy

Could you write out for me what the dialog says when you try to save drafts in Thunderbird?

Default Another problem with 'Delete temporary files'

Apologies for interjecting here, but there's something else connected to this that's been puzzling me.

I tend to click 'yes' when prompted to clear temp files, but I then get a message saying 'x' number of files are in use and cannot be cleared ('x' can be 4, 5 or 6). Which files are these? How can I allow them to be cleared? Is there any danger if I don't?

Running v 1.6.2.46, Win 7

Thanks all,

Simon