Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WinXP SP2 failure to load after Spybot scan

Default WinXP SP2 failure to load after Spybot scan

Aloha,

In response to Mn8Mutimedia and anyone else looking for an end run. I reinstalled / repaired the XP operating system from the CD and everything works only I am not running Spybot until this issue is resolved.

During the reinstall / repair, recovery was offered at the first screen, but then repair was also offered at the next screen. Maybe you can try that if nothing else works. Good luck!

Aloha

Quote Originally Posted by Cetaman View Post
    ...I am not running Spybot until this issue is resolved.
    It may help if you answered PepiMK's query earlier in this thread

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...28&postcount=3

Question Yes...why?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Does the name "Win32.Agent.bzs" ring a bell?
    If I may ask...why do you ask? Have you seen a similar issue where Win32.Agent.bzs was involved?

Exclamation Update

The good news...I am up and running
    The bad news...I am hesitant to run SS&D, at least for now

I got back up by purchasing Windows XP Home Edition and was able to affect a repair. I had to make the purchase because the PC I am using came with setup files on a partition, rather than disks, and when I tried to create disks (quite some time ago), the PC just sat there staring at me like I had 2 heads. I have my doubts that I would have been able to accomplish anything with them other than wiping the drive clean and loading all the stupid applications and trials that suck up space and irritate the crap out of me.

I would like to run SS&D again, as I know there are still items yet to be fixed, but since I was running 1.6 with current descriptions, etc., I fear the same thing would happen again.

Again, thanks everyone, for your help.

Default WinXP SP2 failure to load after Spybot scan

Aloha,

Mahalo for the suggestions. We are operating on the assumption now that there was an attempt "to force 1.6 updates on a 1.3 version". This is a distinct possibility but, as noted, there is no way to establish it as fact. Unfortunately, there are other issues and little time to resolve them at play here. I will post a follow-up when the information is available. Mahalo again!

Aloha

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Quick question, very important basic information for any support request: which version of Spybot-S&D were you running?

(the problem sounds a lot like you were trying to force 1.6 updates on a 1.3 version, that's why I'm asking)

It seems the same thing happened to me guys. By the way, I have SSD version 1.5.2.

Today I'm surfing the net when up popped a firewall warning alerting me to a request to hijack my internet connection by a file called wjqs.exe or something similar. Of course I say deny. Next comes a SSD pop up asking me to verify the following change:

value "BootExecute" (new data: "autocheck autochk * ") changed in Session manager!
    I have no clue what that is so I deny.

Next I notice my Internet pages taking longer loading. So I open Adaware to scan my system but it say Adaware can't connect to the server!!

Next I attempt to open SSD but it flashes quickly and disappears!! I try to Google these variants and when I click the Google results I am redirected to spyware sites!!

Notice I never try to install SSD 1.6.

So I install Malwarebytes and I reboot the computer to go into Safemode but guess what happens? My computer won't boot into safe mode!! It reboots normally but just hangs at the XP login screen after I input my password!!

After many attempts to log into safe mode, I finally get in and I choose Last Known Good Configuration.

Then I reboot normally and run Malwarebytes. Below is what it finds on my PC:

• Two registry keys infected with tdssdata (Trojan.Agent)
    • Four dll files infected with Trojan.TDSS
    • One driver infected with Trojan.TDSS
    • Two temp files infected with Trojan.FakeAlert
    • One dll file infected with Rootkit.Agent
    • and various other files infected with downloader trojans!!

Once these were cleaned from my system I was able to open and run SSD successfully!

LeapFrog, why are you cross posting the same post?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    LeapFrog, why are you cross posting the same post?
    Because it is relevant to the thread topic.

Well it doesn't really explain how your system was down.

I thought it was fairly clear that my system was compromised by trojans and therefore I could not run SS&D or log into my computer until I chose the last known good configuration at which point I was able to log in and clean the buggers out of my computer and only then could I run SS&D.