Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WinXP SP2 failure to load after Spybot scan

Default WinXP SP2 failure to load after Spybot scan

Aloha, please direct me to the correct thread or assist me with this one.

After loading a new copy of WinXP SP2 on to an existing computer and copying over files that I thought were clean (they had been scanned), I ran Spybot and there were still 9 malware. They were removed. When I restarted the computer, it sent me to the choose user screen and then signs off immediately when the user is selected. This occurs even in safe mode where the administrator is also a user option.

Any suggestions? Mahalo for the help! Aloha

Default I feel your pain...

I wish that I was able to reply with some help, but alas, I am here to join you. On Friday, I ran S&D only to end up dead in the water. Normally, my pc boots straigh to the desktop, but now to the logon screen...I attempt to log on, the pc starts the process, then logs off. Same results as yours in Safe Mode as well...mine and the Administrator IDs are displayed, and both fail to logon.

Maybe I can offer some more info that might help get us on the right track...I found a website that offered an image file to create a boot cd. I downloaded the file, created the cd, and attempted to boot-up...

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a a copy of the above file."

I'm not sure how to do that with a computer that won't boot...I suppose one might put the drive in another pc as a slave, and install the file, but I don't have that luxury (second pc).

Good luck, Cetaman.

Quick question, very important basic information for any support request: which version of Spybot-S&D were you running?

(the problem sounds a lot like you were trying to force 1.6 updates on a 1.3 version, that's why I'm asking)
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Quick question, very important basic information for any support request: which version of Spybot-S&D were you running?

(the problem sounds a lot like you were trying to force 1.6 updates on a 1.3 version, that's why I'm asking)
    I am not sure, and obviously can't check...however, I think it was the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by mark30120 View Post
    I am not sure, and obviously can't check...however, I think it was the latest.
    I found the print-out from the last time I ran S&D...it is ver. 1.6, and I recall updating definitions, etc., before running the scan.

If you have the print-out from the last scan like you said, could you please post what exactly was found during that scan?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Can't Login to Windows XP after Spybot changes, pls help

Can someone please help, I have the same problem as these guys!!!

I cannot log into my Administrator account, it logs out and goes back to logo screen again.

I hope someone may be able to help, I need to get my computer up and running ASAP.

I recently updated to Win XP SP3, updated Spybot search and destroy, and also installed the CS4 collection, all about 1 week ago. I have restarted my computer several times since, but today while working in Premiere CS4 I got a blue screen of death.

I restarted the computer, and a bunch of registry change notifications kept popping up under Spybot Search and Destroy, many more than the occasional registry changes that S&D informs me of. I hit deny on most of them because I didn't know why anything had to change at this point when everything was working last week. At somepoint it frooze again while reviewing the Spybot registry changes.

When I restarted again, the Login sceen comes up (It doesnt usually) and then after I type in the correct password on the Administrator account, it starts to load up my desktop but then logs off that account and restarts again. Over and over again, I can't log into my account for more than a second before it logs that one off again, and asks me to relogin.

I have tried to start in Safe MOde, but it doesnt get that far. I have done the restore last know configurations as well. It didnt work.

Any know how I might be able to get into my account without it logging me off and trying to restart?? I may be able to revert the changes by spybot.

In another forum I was suggested to do an XP repair with my XP cd-rom? But I didnt get the Repair option, only recovery.

It seems if I could just get in and change whatever settings Spybot made before this happened I could access my system again.

I had an old version of Spybot installed for a while and wasnt using it, but I recently updated and ran a scan, so it was freshly updated 1 week ago. I also use Comodo firewall, on Windows XP SP3.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by Mn8Mutimedia; 2008-12-17 at 00:01.

hello,

I am sorry for the inconvenience.
    Please refer to this Blog
    for recovery of your system. These methods assume that the correct userinit.exe is still in place and will help you recover your registry.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Does the name "Win32.Agent.bzs" ring a bell?
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Does the name "Win32.Agent.bzs" ring a bell?
    Absolutely...or partially
    Other than tracking cookies, the items found were:

Fraud.PCHealth
    Fraud.XPAntivirus
    MicroAntivirus
    SpySheriff
    Smitfraud-C
    Win32.TDSS.rtk
    Win32.Agent.pz
    Win32.Agent.jg

S&D fixed everything but 2 items...requested to be allowed to run on start-up...which I of course allowed.

The items not fixed were-

Fraud.PCHealth: [SBI $6EF297C]
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{22EA5610-39AA-4231-AD6C-5D2878D68704}

Win32.Agent.jg: [SBI $AFA60660] Program directory
    C:\Windows\system32\twain_32\

I rebooted and the problem began.

Thank you all, by the way, for your support and interest...