Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Memory Leak

Default Possible Memory Leak

Hi All,

I have noticed that when scanning is completed or stopped. Spybot is not releasing memory properly. See attachment..

- Marko

mhieta,

When the Spybot program is closed (after exit) that item shouldn't be there at all and I don't have that problem on any of my computers. Perhaps it is the version you are running or the operating system you use or some interaction with other software. Without any real information it's not possible to even guess.

Hi Greyfox,

Thanks for your answer. I'm using 1.6.0.30 version.

Please try these steps..
    1. Click Check for problems
    2. After 4000 items checked click Stop check
    3. Repeat 1&2 several times
    4. Check SpybotSD.exe Mem Usage and compare Mem Usage when you first started Spybot.

You can see that the memory usage is pretty high, yes its released after Exit. But still it should not "keep memory itself" if someone wants to scan several times (don't know why but still...). Also this same thing happens if you Check for problems and let it run and check all items and then Check for problems again.

- Marko

Marko,

OK, I see what you mean. Using version 1.6.1.38

Program opened: Mem 33,364K
    First stop: Mem 75,876K
    Second stop: Mem 125,768K
    Third stop: Mem 176,016K

I must say that this is not something I would normally do - I don't start a scan unless I have the time to let it complete, and it does clear the memory on exit so it will probably not adversely affect a large number of users, however you are right, when the scan is stopped it is terminated, so the memory should be cleared and it should not accumulate.

This is perhaps worth referring to the "bugs and features request" forum.

That area has the following heading

If you want to add bugs or feature request and are unsure about how to do that exactly, we suggest that you open a topic in the proper forum, explaining the problem and asking for it to be added to the tracker - if you follow the style you'll notice in existing entries, that'll improve your chance. Direct reporting has been disabled to allow keep it clean from support questions or duplicate entries.
    Proper Forum?
    Ask who to add it to the tracker?

Unfortunately I don't know, perhaps some one else can explain exactly how to do this.

Hi Greyfox,

Just tested and this memory leak issue also applies to these versions:
    And maybe other versions as well.

About that bug tracker place. I have tried that, posting new issue. But then I only get:
    mhieta, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons...
    So maybe someone who cans can move this thread to right place

- Marko

..., we suggest that you open a topic in the proper forum, explaining the problem and asking for it to be added to the tracker ...
    There were too many support questions and incomplete reports, so we disabled direct reporting there. I must admit the "proper" should've been better defined though
    Will move this thread to the beta forum (not because this is a beta issue, but because I tend to deal with bugs there). Feel free to post a suggested bugtracker entry here and I'll add it
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Hi PepiMK,

Thanks..
    Okay, post this in to bug tracker:
    ---
    Please try these steps..
    1. Click Check for problems
    2. After 4000 items checked click Stop check
    3. Repeat 1&2 several times
    4. Check SpybotSD.exe Mem Usage and compare Mem Usage when you first started Spybot.

This memory leak issue applies to these versions:

You can see that the memory usage is pretty high, yes its released after Exit. But still it should not "keep memory itself" if someone wants to scan several times (don't know why but still...). Also this same thing happens if you Check for problems and let it run and check all items and then Check for problems again.
    ---

- Marko

Well, in a way that is exactly why the bugtracker is closed - a look at the bugtracker should show that I'm very paranoid about a proper Situation/Experienced/Expected structure, see this explanation

Still, the steps to reproduce were the most important thing here, and they are well described I first thought this might be just the cache, but that numbers are summing up shows that its more than that.

It does no longer appear in 2.0, I'll see if I can backport the changes before releasing the final 1.6.1
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Hi PepiMK,

Thanks. Okay I will test 1.6.1 version when it comes. I will report back then.

- Marko

Default SBSD TeaTimer build 1.6.2.46

I'm getting very high memory useage 158,292MB after installing latest build. My 1.6.0 version was seemed fine. Anyone else seeing this?