Thread: Windows Defender blocking TeaTimer from starting?

Question Windows Defender blocking TeaTimer from starting?

So I think I managed to get TeaTimer running when Vista starts... but now it appears Windows Defender is blocking it from starting.

If you take a look at the attached images, it's being blocked (once I click it, TeaTimer starts)... but in the list of programs it's permitted and is already enabled.

How do I get Windows Defender to stop doing this?

Btw, I've right-clicked the default Spybot desktop icon and selected "Run as Administrator", and I've also set TeaTimer.exe to run as administrator as well. I'm also using TweakUAC, currently set to "quite mode".
    Last edited by GB452; 2008-12-17 at 02:17.

Hmmm... if I understand the screenshot correctly, it says version 1.6.1 of TeaTimer, so you might want to update. Maybe that's the MS way of enforcing an up-to-date version? Who knows

It also says that TeaTimer would not be digitally signed, which it should be - we even sign test versions.But it says so here as well, so probably Defender is just wrong on that part.

PS: Have enquired with MS why they list a signed app as unsigned, just in case this is related.
    Last edited by PepiMK; 2008-12-17 at 10:17.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Lightbulb

I have the same problem with the HP Print Diagnostic Utility and the only work around in my case is to stop it from running at start up.

Windows Defender is not very user friendly and is prone to blocking perfectly harmless programs because it's got a flea up its butt about the lack of Digital Signing on some programs!
    Last edited by Terminator; 2008-12-17 at 19:15. Reason: Re-phrased Answer
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Might have found out why our files (it's global for any of our files) show up as unsigned in Defender. There are two tools available from MS to codesign files. While Explorer etc. do not have problems with the output created by either, Defender seems to not be able to recognize the output from the not so common one. If I do sign files using the other one, Defender will "understand". Of course it should be able to interpret both

Lightbulb I have defender....

and i do not experience this issue. I have the latest updates available for both teatimer and defender. Try removing defender and download and install it again. I know some really older versions of defender were not automatically updated to the latest version, but it would not inform the user. Download windows defender from here, (After removing it): http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

Or just try Microsoft updates.

What Microsoft (got a reply really fast) told me was that the "not signed" issue might only be the GUI - the engine would recognize it as signed and should thus allow it. 1.6.1.41 was already closed Wednesday when we found this, but the final will be signed with the other tool just to make sure.