Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roar.com assessed as a threat

Default Roar.com assessed as a threat

Hello,

It has been brought to our attention that our website at http://www.roar.com and our privacy policy webpage at http://www.roar.com/legal/privacy.htm have been reported to you and subsequently included on your list of websites constituting potential privacy/security threats.

The record of this is located at http://www.safer-networking.org/en/threats/53.html

We wish to advise that the reporting of the above website as a potential privacy and/or security threat was misconceived and incorrect.

We are a public company operating an established and reputable paid placement advertising directory website and we are well aware of our security and privacy obligations regarding the use of personal information that we collect and store.

We have tried on numerous occasions to contact Spybot via email, but have not yet received a response.

What steps need to be taken to remove us from your security threats list?

Regards

Bill Vanderent
    Manager, IT Services
    Roar.com

Exclamation No response?

I still haven't heard anything back about this. Can someone from Spybot please contact me as soon as possible?

Thanks

Bill

Let me make sure that this is clear. I am not speaking for Spybot S&D as I am in no way connected with them. I am simply an individual that visits this forum and would like to keep personal information all to myself. Based on your privacy statement what did you expect?
    Last edited by el cpu; 2005-11-22 at 08:15.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Is there a reason that the following link buttons on the bottom of your www.roar.com home page all link to www.roar.com/#, which also the home page, rather than to the indicated subject matter?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I wonder why every block list I know of contains roar.com & darkblue.com

I just can't understand why anyone would want to block access to an outfit responsible for some really great wares. :sarcasm: One might get the idea that roar folk were responsible for some nasty malware propagation like highjackers and such. Surely that's not the case. :more sarcasm:

Quote Originally Posted by el cpu
    Let me make sure that this is clear. I am not speaking for Spybot S&D as I am in no way connected with them. I am simply an individual that visits this forum and would like to keep personal information all to myself. Based on your privacy statement what did you expect?
    Hi el_cpu,

The reference in our privacy policy to "personal information" such as names, email address is only collected from our customers/advertisers and not individual surfers who view the website. This is for our customers who wish to engage in a business relationship with us. (eg. Advertise their sites on Roar.com)

Any marketing material that is sent using such personal information also strictly complies with the relevant anti-spam legislation enforced in Australia. Again, this is for our business clients, not web surfers.

Personal information collected by us is not disclosed to any other third parties and is protected against unauthorized access by such third parties.

The only information that is collected from individuals viewing the said website is their IP address (for fraud detection)

The only tracking devices used by us are cookies and web-bugs. The use of these basic tracking devices is clearly disclosed in the privacy policy. More importantly, these tracking devices are standard tools used in the online advertising industry and in no way compromise the security of, or allow unauthorised access to users computers.

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Is there a reason that the following link buttons on the bottom of your www.roar.com home page all link to www.roar.com/#, which also the home page, rather than to the indicated subject matter?
    md, maybe you've got javascript turned off? The links on the page (not the ones listed above) launch a popup window containing the relevant information

Quote Originally Posted by mikey
    I wonder why every block list I know of contains roar.com & darkblue.com

I just can't understand why anyone would want to block access to an outfit responsible for some really great wares. :sarcasm: One might get the idea that roar folk were responsible for some nasty malware propagation like highjackers and such. Surely that's not the case. :more sarcasm:
    Hi Mikey,

Thanks for your honesty. You're right, it's not the case. We don't use spyware/malware/*ware. RE the block lists, we are a search engine (roar.com), and an affiliate program (darkblue.com). I've seen both of those in some "ad" block lists, because that's what they do, display ads for our customers. That in mind, I've also seen cj.com, googleadservices.com and cnet.com (to name a few) in these same lists.

RE the inclusion in the Spybot "threat" list, and what I've said above, does that warrant our inclusion? It would be good to hear from someone who administers the threat list.

Thanks

Bill

Hey Bill, thx for the response and sorry about the sarcasm. If you aren't too put off by my previous sarcasm, perhaps you wouldn't mind discussing what may be the reason in part or in whole for your being targeted by most of the block lists. I can try to compile a list of those who block your sites if you like. The ones I'm familiar with do so.

Anyway, as I Google my way around looking for refs related to darkblue & roar, I note a bit of discussion about the use of those all too hated popunders...we all know about popunders...some are even known to use browser vulnerabilities/exploits to load unwanted wares. I know you wish to speak to someone on staff here but would this issue be worth a comment even tho I am not a SSD admin?

I think perhaps I should ask the others who publish the lists why they target your domains. I might find a more encompassing view of things that way. Now that I'm more curious, I wonder what else I can find...off to find out.

EDIT: BTW Those links at the bottom of your page don't work here either in multiple boxes(IE). I think the prob is on your end.
    Last edited by mikey; 2005-11-23 at 05:14.

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Roar.com
    md, maybe you've got javascript turned off? The links on the page (not the ones listed above) launch a popup window containing the relevant information
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey
    EDIT: BTW Those links at the bottom of your page don't work here either in multiple boxes(IE). I think the prob is on your end.
    The issue is that since Roar.com is in Restricted Sites, Active Scripting (Java) is disabled by default, so the links fail and return to the main page. It would probably be best to make these important links simple HTML that open other pages rather then popup windows using Java.