Thread: Have the problems with 1.6's BHO been fixed?

Default Have the problems with 1.6's BHO been fixed?

I remember first updating to 1.6 last Summer, then rolling back to 1.5 when I saw how laggy the browser helper object made IE. Have these problems been addressed since then? I'd like to give 1.6 another shot since I always see the update listed when I go to update my detections.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

el nemto:

The slowdown in Windows Explorer and/or Internet Explorer with the original Spybot 1.6 SDHelper active was caused by an excessive amount of stored cookies in the user's system. That problem has been resolved with a new SDHelper that has been available via the intergraded update process since 2008-09-24.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks, just updated and it seems to be working great - scan is much quicker.

Is there any way to disable the temp file warning, though?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

el nemto:

There is a registry tweak to disable the temporary folder cleaning (DisableTempFolderCleaning). The original documentation for this and other registry tweaks is in wiki.spybot.info at this URL:

Also see post #7 in this thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks.

so what are the temp files it's deleting? Just the contents of \WINDOWS\Temp\ ?

There are just non-important files in your machine. The Temp. folder is just what it's name implies, temporarily. When you install or uninstall something the installer will use the Temp. folder. It is also a good to remove any potential nasties that may be hiding in the Windows Temp. folder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_folder
    -

I just know some programs use it to cache non-temporary settings/skins. The only example I can think off is ICQPlus, which I haven't used in years, but I'm sure there must be others too.

It's not only ICQ, but lots of other programs use the Temp. files, whether that is for updating or when you're installing another program.

You've misunderstood my question. Please read it again.