Thread: Won't Immunize Netscape

Default Won't Immunize Netscape

I can't figure out how to get SD to immunize Netscape, I have been told via e-mail SD support to :

[I]go to "My Computer" on your desktop and choose the C drive.
    Then you search for the Documents and Settings folder, search for your user name and go to the Application Data folder.
    Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties.

There you you rightclick the permissions.sqlite file and choose delete.
    Then you delete the hostperm.1 file the same way.
    After that you create a new hostperm.1 file with notepad. [/I]

I still can't find the "permissions.sqlite file" I can find the "Documents and Settings folder, and my user name and did go to the Application Data folder" after that I do not understand how to do the rest. I do have my floder option to show hidden files.

In Application Data folder, go to Netscape folder (It should be named as "Netscape"), then go to xxxxx.default (xxxxx - some number or letter like for example: 4z2di6) and those files should be there.
    If you still can't get those files, try searching for them.

Thank you for the reply and info. Please be a little more exact on how to get to the file (s) your referring to and what to do with it once it is found. Step by step so not only me can do it but others like me that ave very little computer savvy
    Joe Foe from Buffalo

Santa

It seems the Application Folder is not shown by default (hidden) because Microsoft didn't want users messing around with it, like accidentally deleting something by default.

The way I do it is to search for it myself. Er, "Application Folder" came back with no results so "Application Data" should do. In the search results the folder would be transparent like. You should look for the one that has your current user account name. Say if my name was "Oreo", then I would look for the folder ending in "Oreo".

Again thank you for the reply and info. I can find my hidden "Application Folder" what I can not find or understand is the "permissions.sqlite file" and what to do with it once I find it and the steps after that. A step by step my help me an thers that I'm sure must have the same problem and or possibly don't know it or know how to fix it with most not the brightest I.T. tech's
    Joe Foe from Buffalo

Bump Pleaze help me...
    Joe Foe from Buffalo

Wink hmm, Netscape

.. came in a few flavors, mostly gecko as I recall. It was discontinued awhile back but some folks like it enough to keep it (rather than upgrading to a more recent Firefox or Flock browser). I use one of the last versions, Navigator 9006 and it doesn't have a permissions.sqlite file here .. so possibly you may be looking for something that won't be found (for Netscape, anyway). The hostperm.1 file is all you really have to be concerned with, Joe (as far as I can tell ) - deleting or shredding it with SSD's file shredder is the first step. Step 2 is to create a 'blank' hostperm.1 in your Netscape profile folder to replace the one you deleted - rightclick, New -> Text Document - make sure that 'show file extensions' is checked (same place you used to show hidden folders) - rename "New Document.txt" to "hostperm.1" and close it all up. Hopefully SSD will now be able to immunize Netscape or at least 'see' it .. possibly you may need to 'prime' the hostperm.1 by creating some arbitrary rule first (so the hostperm.1 has content). This can be as simple as a 'do not accept cookies from this particular website' or images or .. while you're in Netscape.

If all else fails, you could also try javacool's SpywareBlaster as an alternative to SSD's immunization (it's not quite the same, but it's a measure of protection nonetheless). Good Luck with the old N'

Um Please put your mention in layman's terms. Ya lost me after step 1.
    Joe Foe from Buffalo

Can or will some one please help me?
    Joe Foe from Buffalo

Cool

Okay. It probably doesn't help that I use an older version of Windows, but Netscape Navigator should be basically the same if you're using a 9 series (the last and final release was 9.0.0.6).

You say you did find the Application Data folder? Your Netscape 'profile' folder should be in there ..\Application Data\Netscape\Navigator\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default is usually the folder - where those eight xs are numbers or letters - hopefully that's the only profile you have for Netscape. Look in that folder for a file called hostperm.1 - delete it. I'm almost certain that there is no permissions.sqlite file for Netscape Navigator (there may be other files with the .sqlite extension in there, leave them be).

Some basics here - the (usually) three letters or it may be more or less or it could even be numbers after the . (dot) is called a file extension. This file extension needs to be correct for Windows to have an idea what kind of file it is and for it to work properly - it's almost like names with people where the extension is the family name (and different extensions help Windows know what that 'family' does). To go back to my earlier post (the step 2 part) .. that's why you have to have uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types" in the same place in Explorer that you used to check "Show hidden files and folders" (Tools->Folder Options...->Viewtab). You can reset back with the Restore Defaults button or however you prefer on that View tab when you're all done with hidden stuff and this particular renaming. To properly make a blank hostperm.1 file you need to completely rename the New Document.txt 'blank' file .. the extension needs to be renamed as well (Windows usually gives you some sort of warning if you do this extension renaming).

That final part about 'priming' the new hostperm.1 file - sometimes SSD still cannot see that nice new file you made (it also can happen with a completely fresh virgin install of a browser where the user has made no rules of the sort that are stored in the hostperm.1 file) and thus you get frustrated because it still won't immunize your browser after all that mucking about. Now it's time to let your browser do a little work. Go to a site that you know needs to have some permission set (like your accepting cookies from it or it may need javascript or .. these are examples of the site-specific rules that more-or-less are what's in hostperm.1). They are different from your usual general settings for cookies, etc. - if you open a working hostperm.1 file with NotePad (actually WordPad for me since it's too large for NotePad to open), you will see that it is a Permission File and shouldn't be manually edited (since it's 'generated' by either you telling the browser what to do in regard to a specific website being able to set cookies, etc or SSD immunizing that browser by changing the hostperm.1). Here's how mine starts
    Code:
    # Permission File
    # This is a generated file! Do not edit.

host	image	2	febay.it
    host	install	2	febay.it
    host	popup	2	febay.it
    host	image	2	www.asecurevalue.com
    .. and so on (current size is 996,347 bytes).

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you, but dl'ing SSD162 now over dialup and have a bit of time Hope the above stuff clarifies things a bit for you and good luck - animate the comets (;
    Last edited by ME_2&; 2009-01-29 at 20:57. Reason: syntax