Thread: S&D Resident

Default S&D Resident

When Resident pops up, saying an important registry entry has changed and asks to be allowed or denied, is it due to S&D eliminating a bug and replacing it with something else, or is it due to spyware trying to reinstall a bug? I'm never sure what to allow or deny. Thanks

Red face TeaTimer alerts

The alerts are due to TeaTimer noticing a change to a registry key; either being added or deleted, or the value of the key being changed.
    It takes being pretty savvy about what your computer is doing to use TeaTimer effectively I've found. I've learned a lot about different programs just answering the TeaTimer alerts.
    Most of the time it's a rule of thumb to allow what's going on, unless you know you specifically want to block a certain registry change (for example if you are using a startup manager and a new program keeps trying to reinsert itself into the Windows Run registry keys before you have a chance to disable it). Otherwise, if you block things (especially during a program update or installation you could leave yourself in a "half-baked" state.

There is one basic premise you should keep in mind. If you say No to something you should have said Yes to, the results may be fairly dramatic and it may cause some of your software to cease funtioning.

If you say Yes to something you should have said No to, the results will be no different (no worse) to what would have happened if Teatimer had not been present.

You will considereably reduce your problems if you manually turn off Teatimer
    (Advanced mode/Tools/Resident/Untick the Teatimer box) before you do any significant installation of new software. Don't turn it back on until the software has completed its installation, and you have rebooted the computer

Default Good point

Good point Greyfox about turning off TeaTimer during an installation. I used to do this Ad-Watch when I used it.

But, I would find it faster to just right-click on the TT tray icon and select "Exit-Spybot-S&D Resident" than to go into Spybot itself to turn TT off.

Cheers!

Exiting TeaTimer during a session will only disable it for that session only. If the user should log out and relogin, TeaTimer will still start during bootup. Disabling TeaTimer via Spybot's Advanced Mode will disable it permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by kailasa108 View Post
    Good point Greyfox about turning off TeaTimer during an installation. I used to do this Ad-Watch when I used it.

But, I would find it faster to just right-click on the TT tray icon and select "Exit-Spybot-S&D Resident" than to go into Spybot itself to turn TT off.

Cheers!
    Many software installations do not complete until the computer has been rebooted. As drragostea said, using the right-click on the TT tray icon and selecting "Exit-Spybot-S&D Resident" only shuts down Teatimer for the current session and it restarts at the next bootup. That is the reason I recommended the other method of shutting it down, and then not turning it back on until after the software has completed its installation which is after the reboot.