Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invalid Floating Point Operation

Default Invalid Floating Point Operation

I've downloaded Spyware S&D and saved the install file, but every time i try to install it, i click on the language i want, then a couple seconds after it says in a small window
    "Invalid Floating Point Operation" or something.
    What is this?

Thanks.

Like, is it a corrupted file i downloaded? If so, what's the best mirror to use ?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

It is possible that the installation file was corrupt, but that would normally be detected during the installation. There is also a possibility that the problem is caused by that particular language file. If you indicated the version of Spybot you are attempting to install, the language you are attempting to use and the operating system you are running under, perhaps someone could see if the problem is reproducible.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Spybot S & D v 1.5.1, i'm trying to install it with English, and i'm using Win XP
    Last edited by unknown nirk; 2007-09-27 at 16:41.

And i've just tried with another load of the languages, and from different mirrors, but still not working.

Does anyone know a decent alternative to using Spybot S&D?

Also, could it be the PC i'm using? I had it before, like a month ago, but i accidentally deleted it. And it's nowhere in my program files or whatever, so i need to download it again.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Did you uninstall Spybot 1.4 before installing Spybot 1.5?

To tell if the downloaded spybotsd15.exe installation file was received properly, see the following thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I had similar experience w/ spybot and floating point exceptions on an infected machine. After several attempts I was able to successfully run spybot by disabling my connection to the network (removed wireless card). For what is worth here is my current state ... I rebooted, used spybot verify that the machine was clean, connected to the internet, got some strange behavior (eg dos command shell pop up & disappear), and experienced some browser hijacking on firefox (didn't run ie). After the reinfection, when I tried the spybot update I got a floating point exception followed by strange warning messages about a illegal update. I just now rebooted off the network and got 3 "Virtumonde". My best guess is that the floating point exceptions are some how due to an infection(s). BTW there is a similar post here

Exactly the same problem here.

Each time I click on "Search for updates" I've got the folwing message: "Invalid Floating Point Operation" and I have to close the program.

The only way to reach it is the start menu (Update spybot).

Like max540, Spybot found 3 "Virtumonde" spywares and delete them but it doesn't change anything.

I guess it's a virus but I've tried a lot of solutions (VirtumundoBeGone, VundoFix, Combofix, Clean... etc.) without success.

Please help!

Default Command Adware Infection

I'm having the same problem and it started when my machine was infected by a drive by download of Commend Adware. Does anyone know how to remove Command AKA cmd.exe? you can't remove it from the add/ remove page and it seems to have blocked my ability to open spybot.

The executable at this point has been created by InnoSetup, a widely spread setup engine, so this problem is somewhere part of InnoSetup, not yet of our own code.

I think there are two things to try out there:
    the MSI installer, using Microsofts Installation engine to install Spybot-S&D. Since that's a completely different installation environment, the problem shouldn't appear there.
    A second thing would be that InnoSetup 5.2 is out now (the Spybot installer was created with a 5.1 version). I can create a new Spybot installer using this new version of the installer engine, hoping that this problem no longer occurs with that version. Going to create a new installer over the weekend anyway for all the beta stuff

As far the error occuring when trying to update (to2012... even though you write about "exactly" the same problem there, it's a completely different executable affected!), that affects one of our own executables. If it runs from the start menu though, that lets me wonder whether you've got a 64 bit Windows version? Just because usually, the way it is started should be the same, but on 64 bit Windows, it's different whether started from the start menu (64 bit) or any 32 bit application. This shouldn't cause any problems, but if malware has infected one of these two ways...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)