Thread: Why Does Spybot Flag Myway.MywebSearch But Can't Delete it

Unhappy Why Does Spybot Flag Myway.MywebSearch But Can't Delete it

Hello folks
    SpyBot cannot get rid if the Myway.MywebSearch PUP but flags it as a problem. Then when you follow it's directions, as well as suggestions in the following link It still cannot be removed.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ht=switchman05

Just so we understand each other I'm no PC Person of any kind. Just a point and click person.

Why can SpyBot not remove Myway.MywebSearch from my PC?

I need a simple easy to follow set of instructions to kill this PUP.
    Please help.

Thanks
    Switchman05

Switchman, you started a thread (two in fact), and they have all been answered.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=42216
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...41&postcount=5

Quote Originally Posted by Switchman05 View Post
    Hello folks
    SpyBot cannot get rid if the Myway.MywebSearch PUP but flags it as a problem. Then when you follow it's directions, as well as suggestions in the following link It still cannot be removed.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ht=switchman05

Just so we understand each other I'm no PC Person of any kind. Just a point and click person.

Why can SpyBot not remove Myway.MywebSearch from my PC?

I need a simple easy to follow set of instructions to kill this PUP.
    Please help.

Thanks
    Switchman05
    In the thread you quoted is a link posted by PepiMK to a removal guide to do what you ask. If you followed the instructions given in this, and they didn't work, then at the end of the guide under the heading of Final Words was the instructions to follow before requesting assistance in the Malware removal forum. Some things don't have a one click answer.

To answer this Myway.MywebSearch problem you must erase C:\Program Files\AskBar\bar\bin\askBar.dll

Is askbar.dll spyware, adware, or a virus?

Name of the process or task:
    Be sure to always double check your spelling if you are concerned about spyware, as often spyware will use a very similiar spelling of system processes or other common tasks. askbar.dll

[U][File type:/U]
    Dll program - Files that have a dll extension are called modules/functions or programs loaded into memory.

Purpose of this file:
    [AskBar.dll/ is a file that has been reported by many as an adware or malware related software BHO program. Be sure to verify the exact hard drive location shown below. This file will run as a BHO in your browser everytime you browse the internet. Normally this is also found with one or more other Askbar files on your computer, if you did not install this intentionally on your computer then I recommend removing this as soon as possible or disabling your browser BHOs. This spyware commonly goes by the name "Ask Bar".

What is the askbar.dll location, where is it stored on my computer?
    This program is currently located at C:\Program Files\AskBar\bar\bin\askBar.dll

Note on file locations:
    Remember that although many files are always in default file locations, some files can easily be moved to different locations or change names like many spyware, adware, or popup programs do. If you suspect you have spyware or adware, check to see if you see a similiar names stored elsewhere. It always helps to check your tasklist also to see what is currently running on your computer. You can always view the tasklist on your computer by pressing ctrl-alt-del to view your "task manager", and then click the "processes" tab. This will show you all tasks running on your computer. Dll files will NOT show on your computer tasklist, as dll files are actually part of other processes. You may see similiar program names running if spyware or adware is on your computer, for example, askbar.dll may be slightly misspelled to keep you from finding it, or spyware and adware may be named very similiar to a system file. Make sure always check the location of tasks or processes if you are concerned.

# Is askbar.dll spyware?
    No.

# Is this considered adware or popup related?
    Yes. This is advertising related, so it is considered adware and may be causing popup windows on your computer.

# Is this considered a virus or trojan?
    No.

# Would you recommend that I remove askbar.dll?
    Yes, I would remove askbar.dll if it was on my computer. If you wish to do this, and you get an error message because you cannot access it, you should first terminate the task in your tasklist and then attempt to add it to your recycle bin again.

How to Completely Remove AskBar :

1. Open HijackThis (download from this site).
    2. In the main window, click "Scan".
    3. Select / mark the following:

* O2 - BHO: AskBar BHO - {201f27d4-3704-41d6-89c1-aa35e39143ed} - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
    * O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {3041d03e-fd4b-44e0-b742-2d9b88305f98} - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll

Also delete if you see the following:

* O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [AskSBar Uninstall] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\UNINST~1.DLL,O -3)

4. Click "Fixed check", "Yes" and then "Ok".
    5. Click "Main Menu", click "View the List of backups".
    6. Select / mark the same registry files which were deleted in Step number 3.
    7. In the right pane, click "Delete", or "Delete All" and then "Yes".
    8. Close HijackThis and you're done.

Optional: Run CCleaner once more before you restart computer.
    Last edited by croscorpion; 2009-01-26 at 21:57.

Default MyWay.MyWebSearch

Can I show my complete ignorance. I have tried to go into Safe Mode to run SpyBot S&D to rid me of MyWay.MyWebSearch but all the icons are SO BIG that I think SpyBot is running somewhere off the visible screen. How do I get to the window please???

Also - having uninstalled AskTBar from Control Panel - could I go into Safe Mode to delete the entire folder? Would it work?

Kevin

But can you remove Askbar in Normal Boot?
    So you can't see Spybot-Search&Destroy at all during Safe Mode?
    How big are the icons ?
    In Normal boot, the resolution might be at 800x600... however, I've seen 1280x1024 resolutions.

Hello,

It seems that there are subfolders that are not being detected and therefore the main folders can't be deleted.
    Please have a look at your folders and see which file paths you have left on your system. These could be the folders:

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\
    C:\Program Files\AskTBar

Delete those folders and its whole content.

Please do also delete the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AskTBar

Open the registry editor by:
    (a)
    press windowskey + r then enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
    or
    (b)
    click on "start" , then "run" and enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)

(a+b)
    and then browse to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AskTBar

This link in our forum should also help removing MyWebSearch: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=40394

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot