Thread: Opera 9.63: IMMUNIZATION REMOVES SAVED COOKIE SESSIONS!

Exclamation Opera 9.63: IMMUNIZATION REMOVES SAVED COOKIE SESSIONS!

I've been having a very old ongoing issue with Spybot and Opera that I have neglected to post about. It's a little annoying but after having Opera lose all my saved cookie sessions for TD Canada Trust, BBR, Rogers Yahoo! Mail...ect.. I need to find out what the issue is. The problem is, whenever I re-immunize my system in Spybot (after an update is performed) Opera forgets all my signed in web sessions! Opera fogets that I saved a TD Canada Trust (client card) cookie on my computer to remember my log in info for later future sessions. I have to re-enter all this information again and again whenever I perform a re-immunization of Spybot after an online update for definition files. If I don't update Operas immunity section in Spybot, my cookie sessions are never lost and are remembered correctly in Opera.

This problem does not occur when visiting the same sites using IE7.
    IE7 remembers all my saved cookie sessions.
    Last edited by Dustyn; 2008-12-31 at 05:17.

New Opera versions sometimes break the immunization (or the immunization breaks new Opera versions cookie files )... the latest such thing is fixed in 1.6.1, release candidate here
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Lightbulb

Oh okay thank you!
    So any cookies I save (login pages on sites) will no longer be deleted by immunization if I install this Release Candidate?
    I'll give it a whirl shortly.
    Thanks 4 the assistance!
    Last edited by Dustyn; 2009-01-04 at 04:54.

Okay I treid the latest release and after updating and re-immunizing, I re-entered all my saved browser sessions. After finding a new detection and immunization database update for spybot online, I re-applied immunization as new items were unprotected, then exited Spybot. I launched Opera to now find out that and Opera forgot ALL my saved cookie seesions. TDCanada Trust had no saved client card, Gmail had no saved e-mail address, Yahoo had no saved e-mail address, Facebook.... and more.

This new spybot release candidate didn't fix the issue.
    Last edited by Dustyn; 2009-01-09 at 09:57.

No one can help? :(

Default Foolproof? .. well ...

Not to 'hijack', but perhaps another viewpoint?

Possibly my experience may bear on yours (then again, every user is different in so many ways that this may well be simply anecdotal - btw, my OS and version of Opera aren't the latest, so this is more general than specific). To make a short story long, I was trying to access a website that I had just done a 'F12->Edit site preferences...' on and was thoroughly annoyed when I couldn't load the site! I don't usually make any site-specific rules since Opera is so easy to just hit F12 and do it on the fly from a basic 'don't allow anything' setup. I leave it to the wand to recall passwords and F12 to allow session cookies as needed (of course you may want a persistent cookie or other form info and likely know much better than I how to lock that in so that it's persistent over sessions, at least as far as Opera's concerned). Now here's the strange bit I noticed about a correlation betwixt SSD's method of 'immunizing' Opera .. and Opera's 'Site Manager'. In Opera's menu, bring up Tools->Preferences(or Ctrl+F12) and select the Content section .. in the 9 series there's 'Manage Site Preferences...' and 'Blocked Content...' buttons at the bottom - blocked content is as it says and as you'd wish. And then there's the 'Server Manager' window where you 'manage site preferences' ... hunh, there's the few sites I 'set' previously along with a bunch of others that have .. well, basically my usual 'don't allow anything' setup (when I check the edit), but for some reason anything I set in Server Manager via F12->Edit site preferences... is blocked from loading? (hmm, that list looks familiar .. but nope, the few I tried to manage don't also appear in the windows hostfile as load-to-limboloco127.0.0.1) - OKAY, time for a road-test to confirm anomalous wtf ... and survey says . . .

not foolproof (at least as far as this is concerned)
    0) some sort of conflict that defeats either Opera or SSD's expected behavior
    a) as soon as I take a 'managed' site (that I put there) off the list in Server Manager, it becomes available for navigation
    b) 'managed' sites (example "888.com") placed in the Server Manager by SSD(?) are still available even so (Opera autocompletes the abbreviated URL, fwiw)
    c) blocked sites (example "http://www.aaawebfinder.com") simply do not load or even 404, which is basically as expected
    1) Possible workaround?
    a) if your 'managed' site is n/a or otherwise flakey, remove it from the Server Manager and let SSD do its immunization of Opera - check that the sites so managed have reduced permissions (cookies, scripting &etc)
    b) ensure your passwords are strong and let the wand manage them, take any other precautions you may think adviseable with sensitive info
    c) undo/redo SSDs immunizations - possibly if Opera was loaded while SSD was doing an immunization the rules may have gotten bollixed (compared to the geckos and IE, Opera needs very few immunization rules .. so another possibility is to simply not freshly immunize Opera if the conflict is beyond resolution in a convenient manner or manually add the new rules yourself if there aren't that many).

Sessions may also be another issue - but that's yet another feature I rarely use, so
    Hope this may help

Default Opera Cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyn View Post
    No one can help? :(
    I would not hold my breath if i were you....They will only tell you that SB supports Opera...but i would strongly dispute that. 1.6.2 didn't solve the Opera cookie issue...so i guess we shall just wait for the next release.

Spybot 1.6.2 does _NOT_ solve the disappearing cookie problem in Opera. Anyone have any advice, other than simply getting rid of Spybot, because I certainly won't ditch Opera??