Thread: Access violation on trying to open

Default Access violation on trying to open

I have recently downloaded version 1.60 of Spybot search and destroy (free edition). Although it downloaded and appeared to install OK it will not run properly. I keep getting Access violation error messages whatever I try to do. I have searched on this forum and although there have been some posts reporting similar problems with AV messages they do not seem to be the same as these.

I have deleted all cookies and am trying to run Spybot with no other applications running. I have attempted to update Spybot today, but also this gives Access violation messages. My details are as follows:

OS Win98
    Spybot v 1.60
    AVG free up-to-date and scanned today - clear.
    No firewall, except that on internet router.

The Access violation messages are as follows:

When opening: Access violation at address 00FFFADC. Read of address 00FFFADC.

When trying to run: Access violation at address 0079EBDE. Read of address FFFFFFFF.

Trying Recovery: Access violation at address 00788398 in module `SPYBOT.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF.

When trying update: Access violation at address 00FFFADC. Read of address 00FFFADC; and Access violation at address 0781COE in module `SPYBOTSD.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to get SpybotSD to run please?

DannyF,

Try this.
    First download version 1.6.1.41 from http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=44

Uninstall your present version of Spybot, then install the above version. During the installation make sure you take the options to NOT have Teatimer or SD Helper active at this stage, and also to NOT get the updates during the installation.

When the installation is complete reboot the computer, then start Spybot. Use the Search for updates on the main screen to update Spybot detection files, then with your browser closed run a full scan with Spybot.

At the end of the scan let it fix any items found that it shows in Red (any shown in green can be left), then reboot the computer. Run another scan and if there are no items in red, immunise.

Reboot then open Spybot. If all is well at this stage turn on SD Helper (Advanced mode/Tools/Resident. Tick the SD helper box)

Reboot then open Spybot. If all is well, try your browser. If no problems then turn on Teatimer (Advanced mode/Tools/Resident. Tick the Teatimer box). Reboot, then open Spybot. Hopefully all will now be OK, if not please post back and indicate at what point the problem occurred. Also could you perhaps confirm whether your OS is Win98 or Win98SE, and indicate how much memory (RAM) the computer has fitted.

If your computer has less than 512MB memory, I personally would consider running without Teatimer active.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2009-01-03 at 08:18.

Hi Greyfox. Thanks for your reply and your help. I will try what you suggest.

My OS is Win 98 last of the first edition prior to SE, but with full MS updates. I have 2 Mb of RAM and an AMD XP 1900 processor with an Asrock K7VT2 motherboard . I have found that this runs almost everything which requires Win98SE without problems in the past.

I will report back on whether trying version 1.6.1.41 works. Is it perhaps that later versions of Spybot search and destroy will not run properly with Win98? I have had some problems with support for Win98 ending for some applications and am consequently planning to migrate to Linux. However, although there are many applications available now for Linux, there are still some niche areas where there do not seem to be any equivalent applications as with Win. (I have also obtained a 64 bit version of Linux to run on my new dual core low-power machine.) I am running XP on most of my PCs, but have this one still running 98. (It is not that it could not run XP since it has an AMD XP processor, but I have so many applications and older things on it that I have been loath to change this one which I use for internet.)

Hi Greyfox,

I did exactly as you suggested and Hey Presto - success. Thank you for that.

Does this mean that Spybot Search and Destroy version 1.6.1.41 is the last version which will run with Win 98?

Thanks for your help.

Danny

Danny,

Spybot-SD 1.6.1 is still the latest beta, it should be close to completion before the stable 1.6.1 is released. Version 1.6.0.30 is the latest stable. Of course, both versions should be compatible with Windows 95-Vista.