Thread: Registry Change cant be denied

Default Registry Change cant be denied

This morning I have a S&D popup saying it has detected an important registry entry has been changed. Allow or Deny?

I denied and it popped up again, denied again and again and again.

Here are some details:
    Category: Browser Helper Object
    Change: Value added
    Entry: {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24- 76C02E2E7C4E}

There is a box to Remember this decision, but I'd rather fix the problem than just have S&D endlessly deny on its own.

I scanned using S&D and nothing came up.

Any ideas?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

nousfour:

The BHO CLSID = {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} appears to be associated with a Google Toolbar Component (fastsearch_219B3E1547538286.dll). Were you installing, modifying or using the Google Toolbar?

If not what were you doing at the time you received the TeaTimer dialog?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

We had just opened our hotmail thru MSN Messenger, which opens in IE. We dont normally use IE for browsing, but Firefox. We read the email there and closed the browser. Then the S&D message popped up.

I just went back to the IE browser and the Google toolbar is now giving a message saying that Google search isnt the default anymore, would I like to make it the default.

What bothers me is no matter how many times I tell S&D to deny the change, it keeps asking. And I'm afraid to accept the change in case its malicious.

Have you installed Google Toolbar before? Because from your first post, it's (the prompt) is telling you that the Google Toolbar is being added in Internet Explorer. All it is asking you is do you allow this.

But saying yes it'll be installed. Thing is I don't understand is why it is constantly appearing.

In Post #3 you said Google Toolbar was prompting you about the search engine not being Google as default (to me it means that it was installed).

Did you tick "Remember my Decision" and denied the change?

i didnt just add the google toolbar at this time, that i know of. I'm almost certain its been there all the time, like I said I dont use IE very often so i wouldnt even notice. I did notice in Firefox that McAfee (my AV) added its search toolbar, and that this is in IE now as well. Maybe its the first time I've used IE since teh Mcaffe toolbar was added and Google toolbar is trying to reassert itself as the default?

I didnt click on "Remember the Decision" and deny yet. I didnt know if this will cause some loop problem in the background where its an endless cycle of it wanting to change the registry and S&D denying it. (i'm picturing the final meltdown of the NORAD computer in War Games lol)

My guess is that McAfee could have bundled the Google Toolbar along with the installation. So it is possible that the Google toolbar prompt was triggered since you haven't used IE in a long time since the McAfee installation, and now opened it.

And if you have ticked "Remember my Decision", you would gotten a unwanted loop because the Google Toolbar (with a McAfee theme I suppose) is attempting to add itself back on to IE.

What you can do is Allow the change and uninstall the toolbar (if you do not wish to have it) or you can just uninstall the toolbar first.

If you should uninstall it first, just Allow the prompt the next time TeaTimer tell you that the BHO has been deleted ({C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24- 76C02E2E7C4E}).