Thread: DSL speed problem

Default DSL speed problem

Over the last few weeks i have had a problem with my DSL speed. The transfer rate had gone from around 500kbs down to 80kbs. At first i thought that it was a problem with my IP. I did all kinds of tests to see if i could find out why, but i didn't have any luck. I reformatted my hard drive and did a recovery and that still didn't fix the problem. Every now and then I can see that the tea timer is using a high percent of the CPU. Just now i decided to end the tea timer process and as soon i did my speed went back to the way it was.
    Does anyone know why this might happen. I would like to keep using the tea timer.

This seems a bit odd, because I've never heard of TeaTimer interfering with your Internet connection.

What version of Spybot are you using? And what version is TeaTimer?

I was using Spybot 1.60. I have been using it for a long time without any problems. Everything was fine with it until a few weeks ago. There must be a conflict with some other program but it still happened after the reformat and backup. I switched back to Spybot 1.5 for now.

So is your connection speed "back to normal" now?

Is it possible that you install Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 in Safe Mode w/o Internet Connection, restart, and see what happens?

I THINK that the immunization may cause such slow downs.

xpsunny, the DNS cache issue?

kenbis in his original post specifically referred to transfer rate, and also gave the clue about Teatimer's high CPU use and how the problem stopped if Teatimer was not working.

I wouldn't think his problem has anything to do with DNS cache, or immunisation.

What he didn't say say was what operating system he is using, or what platform it is on.

There have been many, many posts in the forum about Teatimer's CPU usage and how with the extra work on its plate the newer versions of Teatimer do push CPU's harder, which is much more noticable on slower platforms with low available memory. It is possible that in kenbis's case Teatimer CPU use is resulting in a drop in performance of other tasks, and in particular transfer rate.

kenbis, could you download 1.6.1.41 from here
    http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=44

Try it both ways, with and without Teatimer and post back the result. Also please post what CPU type you have, how much memory and what operating system you are using.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2009-01-07 at 12:00.

My CPU is a Celeron 3.06 and 1GB of ram running Windows XP

I Installed Spybot 1.6 again and tried it out. Everything appears to be working fine with Tea Timer. The random spikes in the CPU usage are gone and my DSL speed is good. I don't think that Spybot was to blame for the problem but i can't explain why it was fixed immediately after shutting down Tea Timer.