Thread: Session Manager Value Change Allow?

Default Session Manager Value Change Allow?

Hi, I am running xp

how do I know if I should allow a change? I had scanned my computer with Avast and it said there was an issue in my registry files with adware. I told it to delete it. I restarted and then win defender froze so I restarted again. This time this message appears and I don't know what to do. Should I allow change or deny?
    old data:
    autocheck autochk*\aswBoot.exe /A:"*"/L:"English"/KBD:2
    new: autocheck autochk *\

thanks
    Mary
    Last edited by kotanmj; 2009-01-07 at 09:45. Reason: spelling. did not make sense when I looked at it again.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

kotanmj:

You did not indicate the "Entry" being changed. I assume that entry is "BootExecute" and the content of the full TeaTimer dialog is:

Category: Session manager
    Change: Value Changed
    ----------
    Entry: BootExecute
    ----------
    Old data: autocheck autochk*\aswBoot.exe /A:"*"/L:"English"/KBD:2
    New data: autocheck autochk *\
    If so, allow the change.

The category "Session manager" indicates a change to one of the ControlSet Session Manager registry keys:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\Control\Session Manager]
    The default entry for "BootExecute" normally is (Name – Type - Data):

Code:
    BootExecute - REG_MULTI_SZ - autocheck autochk *
    It appears that avast! is returning the "BootExecute" to its default value.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Session Manager Value Change Allowed

I am running windows xp also and am new to it. I also use Avast and Ad-Aware besides Sypbot Search and Destroy. This morning Spybot did an update and the following came up. This is the second time this has happened and I check deny change but not sure what the problem is. Below is the note I get.

Spybot - Search and Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed.

Change: Value changed
    Old Data: autocheck autochk*
    New Data: autocheck autochk *\lsdelete\

My question is, do I allow the change, as I am not sure what it is changing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

skeeter:

The default for the "BootExecute" in the "CurrentControlSet" "Session Manager" is usually "autocheck autochk *". It appears that Lavasoft's Ad-Aware adds the extra parameter lsdelete.

If you were installing Lavasoft's Ad-Awareso, allow the registry change.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Another autocheck autochk * question

I was using Window XP last night and had USB flash drive plugged in. I was going to eject the flash drive but got message, "Generic Volume Cannot Be Stopped..." I was going to shut down so I could remove my flash drive. When I shut down, windows did an automatic update. I waited and waited. It finally finished the update and shut down. When I tried to restart my computer, I got that msg that windows had failed to start correctly. I let it start by itself and got a dark screen. I turned it off and tried again. It still wouldn't start. So I waited till this morn. I turned it on and got the screen that windows had failed to start properly (something to that tune). So I started it under the last know configuration in which it was working.

Then spybot teatimer popped up with following msg:

Change: Value deleted
    Old data: autocheck autochk *

I am assuming that since I started in the last known working configuration that a value would have changed as a result so I should allow the change. Is that the right assumption?

FYI: I use Norton Internet Security.

I'm sorry if I'm asking a stupid question but I would really appreciate any info you might be able to provide.

Thank you.

Default Same msg as skeeter in post #3, but I already have AdAware

The last two times I booted, I've had to wait two or more hours while Autocheck scanned my system, only to get clean reports each time.

I have done nothing to instruct any program to run a scheduled Autocheck. Is one of my programs, or WinXP, telling this to take place?

How can I get it stopped if I've got a clean disk?

After the Autocheck runs, I get a msg from Spyboy-Search&Destroy that is identical to the one described by skeeter in his above post #3 in this thread.

Any constructive comments are welcome and appreciated.

Default Further to the Autochk question

Well, guys, I may (or may not) have stumbled upon the answer to the question I posted directly above (and possibly some assistance to others who've posted in this thread). If you're interested in a long, detailed read, go to: http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/chkdsk-and-autochk.htm.

Oh, and about the "dirty bit" mentioned in the article: I guess they mean a bad place on disk---no idea, really.

Also of interest may be some of the links contained within that article.

If you're less patient, well, you could try the method outlined within Microsoft's
    Support site at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426 .

I've got to try myself to see which is easiest.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by shinealight; 2009-04-08 at 01:10.

shinealight:

As indicated above the default of value of the BootExecute entry is "autocheck autochk *". When "autochk" runs it checks for the "dirty bit" on your drives and runs a "chkdsk" if it finds the "dirty bit" set.

Before you reboot the next time you could check to see if any of your drives are flagged as being dirty. To do that:
    1. Click Start, select Run
    2. In the Open box, type:
      • cmd
    3. Click:
      • OK
    4. To check the state of the dirty flag on your C: drive ,for example. Type the following at the command prompt:
      • fsutil dirty query c:

The response should be:
      • Volume - c: is NOT Dirty
    5. Type Exit when you are done querying your drives.

You can also find more information on disk utilities in the following article:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2009-04-08 at 06:59.