Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is avgrsstarter?

Thank you for your response. The problem seems to have resolved itself. The next day when I signed on the Spybot S&D pop up quit happening (is that the way it works, after you've denied the change repeatedly it just stops?) and even now when I try to update AVG there is no pop up even though it happened over and over again the day I first posted. And yes, even though I got the pop up AVG did seem to update successfully. I haven't responded sooner because I was hoping to hear back from AVG and see if they had anything helpful I could share, but nothing so far.

Glad to hear that. If there's any other questions, feel free to ask.

Safe surfing.

Just got the same warning myself - and tracked it down.
    The "Avgrsstarter" registry change relates to the following registry setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\avgrsstarter]
    "DLLName"="avgrsstx.dll"
    "Startup"="AvgStartup"

Avgstarter doesn't exist as a file - it appears to be an internal reference inside the avgrsstx.dll file.

It seems to happen when AVG wants to force a restart after a program update. When the change was allowed it was followed by a popup message that a restart is needed to complete the update - with a countdown (only one button - OK to proceed).

You need to allow this reg change and maybe it should be added to the official Teatimer Whitelist - in the mean time choose ALLOW and Remember this change.

I don't get what happened to my cpu.

I was updating AVG and Avgrsstarter popped up. I allowed it and now whenever I turn on my CPU, it always restarts when it reaches my desktop as long as AVG is installed now.

Is anyone else having this kind of issue with it? I can only manage my cpu by uninstalling AVG through safe mode. I've already went through it about 4 times.

What should I do with it?

You would be better asking in the AVG Free Support Forum.

However I did a quick search for you and found this thread http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,167934

Essentially download the current installer and try a repair installation over the top of current install to fix the broken restart setting.