Thread: Browser Helper

Default Browser Helper

Hi

Have had a look via Search for the following, but not found the thread so far.

In immunize, I cannot turn on the 'Browser Helper to block Bad downloads'.
    I'm sure I had this facility in a previous version, but this time it just will not let me tick the box.
    how can I update this? :(

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Are you attempting to check "Enable Permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" while logged on to a "Computer administrator" account?

If not:
    • Log on to a "Computer administrator" account and try again.

If so:
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy. Verify that the SDHelper.dll file is present.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default SDHelper.dll

Thanks for that, sorry for the delay.
    SDHelper was missing as suggested. downloaded the file from Merijn.org.
    Now working OK.
    M.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I believe that you may have downloaded the 1.3 version of SDHelper.dll if you got it from here:

If you are running Sptbot 1.4 download the following file:

Unzip (extract) it into:
    • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Then go into Spybot > Immunize and try to check "Enable Permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" again.

Important note: The SDHelper.dll file has been know to have been deleted in the past by malware to prevent the enabling of Spybot's resident "SDHelper". If the file gets deleted again or you suspect that it may have been deleted by malware originally, please do not hesitate to post in the Malware Removal forum and have one of the helpers there take a look at your system. To post in the Malware Removal forum, follow the instructions here:

Then post here:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default SDHelper 1.4

I did indeed download the 1.3 version, and have now downloaded version 1.4. However, I wasn't able to replace the .dll file, it wouldn't let me, even though I shut 'everything' down, it kept telling me the program was being used.
    In the end I took the easy way out and uninstalled/reinstalled Spybot. Now at least I have 'permanent blocking of bad addresses' once again.
    Many thanks for your help.
    M.