Thread: What is the "secure domains" section of the immunization database?

Question What is the "secure domains" section of the immunization database?

Does it add trusted sites to the safe zone in IE or something?

It's more like the Windows HOSTS file that it adds malicious domains too.

What the Immunization feature does is that it offers passive protection and protects your browser. This feature will add malicious domains to your browser domains so it will not accidentally visit a malicious site and thus preventing you from possibly getting infected.

Ok, that's not my question. I understand what the immunization feature is.

I'm asking specifically what the entries labelled "secure domain" on the immunization list are in reference to, as it's a new addition to SB1.6 which I've only just recently started using.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

el nemto:

See the following thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I'm still not sure what these entries are actually doing - do they function any differently from the other types of immunization entries (aside from the HOSTS file which I don't use)?

el nemto:

Domain immunization entries add entries to the system's registry that place sites to the restricted sites zone by domain (site) name. The Secure Domain entries add a duplicate set of those restricted sites zone entries into registry keys that are used by Microsoft's Internet Explorer Enhanced Security feature.

For information on Internet Explorer Enhanced Security see:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Is it necessary for a computer running 32bit XP not on a network?

el nemto:

If you read the reference I provided above:

You would see that I questioned the effectiveness (usefulness, helpfulness, value, etc.) of immunizing "Secure Domains" except on Windows 2003 Servers.

In that thread, PepiMK (Patrick M. Kolla – author of Spybot) indicated that tests support immunizing the "Secure Domains" on systems other than Windows 2003 Servers (in particular Windows XP).

I provided additional Microsoft references on the subject:

_____

Quote Originally Posted by el nemto View Post
    Is it necessary for a computer running 32bit XP not on a network?
    Since there appears to be a difference of opinion between PepiMK (the expert in the field) and I concerning the effectiveness of adding "Secure Domains" immunization entries on systems other than Windows 2003 Servers, whether or not to add "Secure Domains" registry entries during immunization is an issue that you will have to determine for yourself using your best judgement.

_____

Personally, I have deleted the registry keys added by the Spybot's "Secure Domains" immunization and have unchecked the immunization items listed as "Secure Domains" so that they are no longer added during Spybot's immunization.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2009-01-12 at 22:05.

Thanks for the information.