Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tea Timer popups

Hello.

This bug will be fixed in the next upgrade, for now please see:
    Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

The fix is posted here:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

But as far as the lower right-hand popups go, does anyone know if there's a way to use reshacker to modify the size and/or time of these popups? Zone Alarm now also has popups and it seems that every few minutes I'm looking at a popup in the corner of the screen, and always something that's ok. Tea-timer even gives me a popup to tell me that it's allowed a registry change from something on my white list. I put it on the white list. I don't need a popup to tell me about it. Popups are advertising, and I get enough of that as it is.

Now that I think about it, I can experiment with reshacker, and if I wreck something, I can simply reinstall.

I should also mention, just in case this post is setting the wrong tone, that I like Spybot S&D a lot, and donate money once a year. Love Spybot, hate popups.

Default Tea Timer Fix?

The same problem of Allow or Deny buttons being blocked has been appearing in the forum since at least 2005. Spybot team members keep reporting it will be fixed. This is damaging my system by allowing changes I don't want. Also do not see an answer to the question of how to add or remove from white list or black list. This is otherwise such a good program. Team Spybot, please help. Thanks. Stan

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Stanton (Stan):

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
    The same problem of Allow or Deny buttons being blocked has been appearing in the forum since at least 2005. … This is damaging my system by allowing changes I don't want.
    There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" button (on the left) and "Deny change" button (on the right) are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". Note: If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
    1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:

There are three (3) fixes published in that thread. They are:

1. The ResHacker fix published by ElPiedra here:
      2. The murdo patch published here:

Also republished by RuggeR29 (which I have never tried) here:
      3. The patch originally by SyreneD that I published here:

Also republished by SyreneD himself here:

2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Notes about the patches (b. and c. above):

Spybot team members keep reporting it will be fixed.
    The new TeaTimer program is currently being tested. See the following post (also in the pinned (Sticky) thread mentioned above:

Also do not see an answer to the question of how to add or remove from white list or black list.
    If you checked "Remember this decision" on a change the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" changes. To edit this information:[LIST]Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
    • Allowed processes
    • Blocked processes
    • Allowed registry changes
    • Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries that you should review are in "Allowed registry changes" and "Blocked registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-10-30 at 19:49.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank God that I found this forum as TeaTimer was driving me nuts, not allowing me to install updates and new downloads. Eventually found a way myself to switch it off (as described in some of the answers below). Needs attention in order to keep Spybot the great product it is. Let us know when this is fixed
    Herbert

Hello,

There is a new update for the resident TeaTimer availible:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9474

Aside from the fix of the graphical glitch so many users have been waiting for, there have been some important changes under the hood, which will reduce the number of change dialogs where the user has to decide.
    TeaTimer now automatically allows any changes during the installation of other security software which follow the ASCs guideline of code-signing all files, as well as a much improved scan of the files associated with registry changes.

Please delete the files 'RegKeyWhite.sbe' and 'RegKeyblack.sbe' in order to
    remove the remembered blocked or allowed registry keys. You will find them
    in the folder:

* Windows 95 or 98: C:WindowsAplication DataSpybot - Search &
    DestroyExcludes
    * Windows ME: C:WindowsAll UsersApplication DataSpybot - Search &
    DestroyExcludes
    * Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication
    DataSpybot - Search & DestroyExcludes

(Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't
    find this folder please check your folder properties)

http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Question ok - I know I'm late on this!

Apparently I'm behind the times. I have version 1.4 and recently enabled Resident (it hadn't been). Consequently It denied changes when I updated a NVDIA video driver and Java. This forum suggests getting version 1.5 - but I'd like to fix (allow) the recent changes that were denied.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Note: If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied.
    Yes, indeed. So how do I allow the change now?

"Allowed registry changes" and "Blocked registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.
    These lists are empty - they have no entries. However, the log file does list the denied changes but I'm unclear on whether I can make the registry changes manually. Here's the most recent:

10/13/2007 6:43:09 PM Denied value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") added in ActiveX Distribution Unit!

10/13/2007 6:43:36 PM Denied value "SunJavaUpdateSched" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"") changed in System Startup global entry!

Thanks!
    Daren
    Last edited by dclineattamu; 2007-10-14 at 04:27.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

dclineattamu:

Both of those registry entries appear like they may have come from the installation of Sun's Java JRE 6 Update 3. Were you installing Java JRE 6 Update 3 at the time you received the TeaTimer dialog messages?

If so, the easiest way to correct the problem may be to go into add/remove programs remove Java and reinstall it making sure to allow the registry changes when you do.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Both of those registry entries appear like they may have come from the installation of Sun's Java JRE 6 Update 3. Were you installing Java JRE 6 Update 3 at the time you received the TeaTimer dialog messages?
    Yes, I believe so.

If so, the easiest way to correct the problem may be to go into add/remove programs remove Java and reinstall it making sure to allow the registry changes when you do.
    So changing the registry myself wouldn't be reliable? I was guessing that all that is required is changing the "denied value" to the "new data", but maybe there is more to it than that. Either way, I'll need to get Spybot 1.5 soon so the graphic glitch doesn't catch me again!

Daren

Also, I presume your reply means one cannot go back and allow changes that previously were denied?