Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tea Timer popups

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Daren:

Quote Originally Posted by dclineattamu View Post
    So changing the registry myself wouldn't be reliable?
    In some cases that can be done but in many cases it can not. The Resident.log is a summary of activities and does not necessarily contain the entire registry entry that is being modified. In addition you may have to know how that particular registry entry is used by the program that is setting it. For example, at one time I was running an anti-virus program that would set a startup entry for a cleanup job every time there was a program update, run the cleanup job and then delete the entry. I assume that the setting of the startup entry was to make sure the cleanup job was run to completion even if there was an intervening restart of the system. If I allow both registry changes, things would be as they should be. However, if I decided to deny the first registry there would be no startup entry for the update program to attempt to remove and TeaTimer would not react to the attempted removal of the entry. Now if I decide at a later point in time that I made a mistake and edit the registry to include the startup entry that I denied, I would adding an entry to the registry that in fact should not be there. However, I can't tell that because the sequence of events I observed were altered by my intervention in that sequence of events.

Quote Originally Posted by dclineattamu View Post
    Also, I presume your reply means one cannot go back and allow changes that previously were denied?
    If you are asking if there is a facility within Spybot/TeaTimer to allows you to reverse previously allowed or denied registry changes, the answer is no.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks!

OK, great! You've been a wonderful help - I appreciate the advice.

Unhappy Clearing snapshots

MD USA, I tried what you suggested for removing the startup popups from Teatimer - i.e., I quit the S&D Resident icon. Then I went to the spybot folder and double-clicked teatimer.exe. A minute or so later the icon reappeared on my status bar, and then all those popups appeared again! I then went to the Resident settings and found the Black & white list intact. Is that the way it's supposed to be? Did I miss something here? Why did the popups that always appear when I boot my machine come back?

Benzmum:

What version of Spybot are you running?

What do you mean by "intact" in the following?

Quote Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
    I then went to the Resident settings and found the Black & white list intact.
    Please post a portion of the Resident.log that shows the changes being allowed or denied when you start your system. To do that:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident > page (scroll) to the bottom of the listing and highlight a portion of the log that shows those activities, then right click and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the log entries to another post in this thread.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Resident.log

I'm running Spybot 1.5.0.9. Following your instructions, I wind up at a list labelled "Resident 'Teatimer' (Protection of over-all system settings active." Here's the list:
    17/09/2007 10:03:14 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "WindowsWelcomeCenter" (new data: "rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter") added in System Startup user entry!
    17/09/2007 1:50:34 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "ehTray.exe" (new data: "C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe") added in System Startup user entry!
    When I said "Black & White list intact" I was referring to the list of allowed registry changes that I found in the settings for the resident icon. I assumed that when you referred to snapshots that this must be what you meant. So I wondered why it was full of changes when I'd expected that everything would be cleared when I'd followed your instructions. But I guess the list of registry changes wasn't what you were referring to, huh?

BTW: I haven't seen the teatimer popups today, but I haven't watched closely as my computer started up. I'm going to try that now....

Unhappy Popups

OK, the Resident popups are still there. When I start my computer, four of them appear on the right side of my screen. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you were saying that those would disappear if we cleared our teatimer snapshots in the way you described.

Question Popups, cont'd

The popups are entitled something like "Registry change allowed," and the same ones have been appearing for over a week.

Benzmum:

Spybot 1.5 or more specifically TeaTimer Version 1.5.0.9 does not have the defect that sometimes made refreshing the snapshot necessary in the prior versions to prevent TeaTimer from thinking the registry changed when you restarted the system. That is why refreshing the snapshot didn't cure your problem.

The only explanation that I can think of is that something is actually attempting to add those registry entries during each system startup.

Default Registry changes

It occurred to me later that I don't know for sure that these popups aren't different every day, mainly because they disappear so quickly that I can't really read more than one of them. Is it possible that they're the same old registry changes I made sometime ago, considering the steps you described don't work with this particular version of Spybot? If that's the case, I can live with the little devils popping up and disappearing quickly every day.

Default Window fixed, but not working!

I have completed the fix by ElPiedra, and the window is full size now.

However, the "old Data" and "New Data" lines are not highlighted and there is no information next to them. Also, the "deny change" tab is not highlighted and I am not able to select it. I can only select the "allow change" tab.

I am running Windows XP.

Is there a solution?

Thank you.