Thread: Virus or not

Default Virus or not

Spybot tells me I have virtumonde and wouldn't let me reomve it because I needed administrator rights. After reading a few threads, I've figured out how to run SB as an administrator. Before I do so I have 2 questions: Based on the malware removal threads I've read, I assume SB will not remove it. I've ran Defender, Spyware Dr. and Zonealarm and none have picked virtumonde up. Could this be a false detection by SB?

It's my understanding that virtumonde creates files with random names to avoid detection. It's possible those other programs aren't as robust as Spybot in terms of virtumonde detection, or it's possible that you have a harmless file on your computer with a random filename sometimes seen used by virtumonde.

For a product like virtumonde if your machine were infected you'd see many results after a scan, not just one. Is it just one virtumonde related entry showing up in the scan?

Yes, it only picked up virtumonde.sdn

I ran SB as the admin and allowed it to removed the virus. It did screw up one of my applications, but I think I can reinstall the application. SB did run during the next reboot, I have no idea why, but did not detect a virus.
    My reason for closely examing my computer is that applications and web pages seem real slow to load lately and IE locks up regularly.
    Last edited by miller912; 2009-01-13 at 12:51. Reason: Pushed send to soon

It possible that it was a trace of Virtumonde. Remember that Virtumonde is a trojan not a virus. And Spybot doesn't detect viruses.

Just because other anti-spyware applications does not detect Virtumonde doesn't really mean its not on your machine or Spybot detected a false positive.
    My reason for closely examing my computer is that applications and web pages seem real slow to load lately and IE locks up regularly.
    Could be a possible malware infection, or maybe not.