Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Disable SDHelper and TeaTimer . My computer is dead-slow

Question How to Disable SDHelper and TeaTimer . My computer is dead-slow

Hi, I'm new to the forums, and gather that my question is probably a little stupid and over-asked, however I can't quite make sense of the FAQs, or the other threads I have read don't quite seem to relate to my V. of Spybot.

The question in brief is, how do I disable SDHelper and TeaTimer in Spybot 1.6.0.30.

Also, is this the best version of Spybot to use?

The problem at length, which isn't too important right now, is:

Since installing Spybot, my computer has DIED in terms of speed. The simplest operations are nearly impossible, however when I uninstall it my PC works basically fine. However, after running scans with SpyBot [which take forever for some reason] I know Spybot finds a lot of files which I have done some reading on, and which are all very bad [naturally] and worse versions of these had caused big problems on my PC previously,
    so I want to keep Spybot.

I don't mind the occasional scan that takes forever, but if once it has finished the pc is still slow, it is a toss up between having bad files or a computer that loads things.

I have read that SDHelper [and TeaTimer to some extent] has been the cause of a LOT of slowed computers. Also I am technologically retarded, and I have read that approving or denying these TeaTimer requests to make registry changes can make a real mess out of a computer system. I had no idea and have just been hitting "approve", thinking that was the right thing to do.

Again, I tried with the FAQ's, and things seem to point to SDHelper and TeaTimer being the worry.

I would like to try turning them off, and just keeping spybot's immunize function.

Thank you SO much in advance for any help, and I appreciate everybody who works on this great program and posts in these forums to help silly people like myself who don't know how to use these programs correctly.
    Cheers !!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

benway:

To disable "SDHelper" and "TeaTimer":
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck (if checked) the following:
        • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
    • Exit and restart all Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer sessions.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

Oh good, thanks so much. I just figured out why I couldn't figure it out.
    I'd been going into tools, and saw a thing which said "Resident" on the right hand side, and unchecked it but wasn't sure if it was to do with SDHelper or TeaTimer, as it didn't say either.

Then just now I found when I re-checked the box it made ANOTHER little icon on the left of the screen appear [which would have disappeared when I unchecked the box], which also says "Resident" and which I hadn't noticed, and under the one on the left of the screen is the option to disable/enable teatimer and sdhelper specifically [I assume the one on the right disables both], so hopefully I can figure what's doing the slowing.

Cheers, md usa spybot fan
    hopefully when I'm less of a retard I can figure this stuff out, and maybe help somebody too.

Default disable URL blocking

Hi ,

Have the same problem not working.
    I need to Disable the URL blocking in IE completely, my boss is not able to get to the sites he goes to for clients accts.
    Please tell me how to disable all URL blocking in IE&firefox.

Thanks.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon G. View Post
    Please tell me how to disable all URL blocking in IE&firefox.
    All of them?
    What kind of sites are your bosses visiting?

The URL blocking is the Immunization feature. Disable it.

Jon G.:

Disable "SDHelper" as outlined above. Then go into Spybot > Immunize and click on the "Undo" button at the top of the right hand pane.

I hope that you realize that the license for Spybot is no long free for commercial users of Spybot - Search & Destroy. There is a special product for corporate use of Spybot - Search & Destroy called the Spybot S&D Intranet Server:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Exclamation

Your version of Spybot is out of date (the latest is 1.6.2), please upgrade and see if that helps.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Default Immunization feature

I went to tools and only saw check boxes for reports, etc.
    Please post some directions.
    Thanks.
    Jon

Jon G.

To disable "SDHelper":
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident (the "Resident" button in the left pane or if there is no "Resident" button in the left pane double click on the "Resident" item in the right pane).
      • Uncheck (if checked) the following item:
        • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
    • Exit and restart all Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer sessions.

Default Immunization feature

I do not see any Resident on the left, and the right just shows shows a check box for Resident report. I am using 1.6.2.
    I unchecked it, and still get redirected to 404 on IE, on certain sites.
    Maybe I will just uninstall it.
    Jon