Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet another Virtumonde victim...

Default Thank you!

No problems at all! First and foremost Shaba, I would like to thank you for responding and helping me on this problem. I appreciate this very much.

I'm still curious about the virus not attacking me the way it has attacked everyone else in this forum. Save for some pop-ups at the beginning of the infection, I didn't even see the guy until KAV started pointing at it. It didn't slow the computer or the internet connection, it didn't do anything else, and that's puzzling me still.

If you have some recs about security, please share them with me. I don't want to stop enjoying the internet because of people that have a field day making life hell for thousands of innocent users.

Thanks again!!

Security Expert: Emeritus

Great

See below for my final instructions:

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Looking over your log, it seems you don't have any evidence of a third party firewall.

As the term conveys, a firewall is an extra layer of security installed onto computers, which restricts access to systems from the outside world. Firewalls protect against hackers and malicious intruders. I want you to download a free firewall NOW from one of these excellent vendors:

1) Comodo (Uncheck during installation "Install COMODO Antivirus (Recommended)"!, "Install Comodo SafeSurf..", Make Comodo my default search provider" and "Make Comodo Search my homepage")
    2) Online Armor
    3) PC Tools
    4) Sunbelt/Kerio
    5) ZoneAlarm (uncheck ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker during installation if you choose this one)

If you are using the built-in Windows XP firewall, it is not recommended as it does not block outgoing connections. This means that any malware on your computer is free to "phone home" for more instructions. Simply put, Windows XP contains a mediocre firewall. This firewall is NO replacement for a dedicated software solution. Remember to use only one firewall at the same time.

Please download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.

***Please close any instances of Internet Explorer before continuing!***

• Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program.
    • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
    • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
    • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
    • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location.

Then download and install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 11.

Next we remove all used tools.

Please download OTCleanIt and save it to desktop.
    • Double-click OTCleanIt.exe.
    • Click the CleanUp! button.
    • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
    • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
    • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTCleanIt attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

• Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and re-enable system restore here:

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Re-enable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

• Update your AntiVirus Software and keep your other programs up-to-date Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.
      You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
      Secunia Software Inspector
      F-secure Health Check
    • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
    • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
    Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints <--- where you can make difference!

The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.

Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

Happy surfing and stay clean!
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2011

Member of ASAP and UNITE since 2006

Security Expert: Emeritus

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

Note: If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than four days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2011

Member of ASAP and UNITE since 2006