Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Download Spybot

Unhappy Cannot Download Spybot

Okay I really didn't want to post a new thread. I tried to look for a solution but nothing I read makes sense. Plese help.

I went to .CNET to download Spybot and have it waiting on my desktop. For some reason when I execute the program it does not let me connect to the server I keep getting an error. I am using IE 6.0. The page keeps popping up as if I have no internet connect but if I Google Safer Networking and select cached the site is there and their server is not down.

I have removed over 151 viruses called Packed.Generic.200 which seems to be all over my computer. I also had a huge trojan which had like .Kotz in the name????? IDK

I would really appreciate someone assisting me I don't know what to do anymore. I have restored my computer to the factory default over six times trying to get rid of all of the viruses and malware and am one step away from throwing this computer away and buying a new one.

I appreciate any help you can give

Thx. Bonniboo

Default Spybot

Okay so I played around with the download and somehow got it to run without having too use IE. Now the program is telling me it's scanning but it will not open. I see it in the system tray.

How do I open it so I can use it?

Thx.

Bonniboo

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Bonniboo:

The icon in the system tray is not associated with Spybot itself. The system tray icon is associated with TeaTimer which is an online process and registry change monitor.

If you have a desktop shortcut named "Spybot - Search & Destroy", double click on it. If you do not a desktop shortcut named "Spybot - Search & Destroy", right click on the icon in the system tray and select "Run Spybot-S&D".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Spybot

Thank you for your response.

I have tried doing that several times and nothing pops up. The tutorial I opened says I should get a wizard to assist but nothing happens. I have uninstalled reinstalled and restarted and still the same thing.

Does it have anything to do with not being able to get linked to the internet?

Bonniboo

Default Spybot

BTW ~

I have also tried starting it from the start menu and my program files folder. Still nothing. There is a document that says something about a screensaver being removed from the desktop. But the date on it is from 2007

That's okay. I went into the program files folder and installed the screen savers.

Thanx

Bonniboo

Default Spybot

I cannot run Spybot because I cannot install the updates. The updates won't install because something, more than likely a trojan, is stopping me from connecting to the server. How can I update the product manually so I can run the scan.

BTW I am on CST. I notice your clock says it's 11:41 its actually four in the morning here.

Bonniboo

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Bonniboo:

To use Spybot's integrated update you must authorize program SDUpdate.exe to access the internet in your firewall.

If you are unable to complete an integrated update you can manually update the detection rules as follows:
    _____

My clock is fine. Try setting your board time. Go into UserCP » Edit Options and set the time to Central Standard Time with automatic daylight savings time detection.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

When I click both links it says this page cannot be displayed and that the website is unavailable. This is getting ridiculous. Whatever it is it has compromised all of my web browsers. Flock, IE, Netscape......None of the browsers can get to this page or anything within Safer Networking its somehow giving me this warning.

Should I try another spyware remover. I just purchased Kaspersky.

Thanks for the time zone answer.

Default Spybot

What happens if I delete a host file?