Thread: Spybot S&D runs but won't fix

Question Spybot S&D runs but won't fix

I have had version 1.6 since 26 Aug 08 and it has worked just fine. Over the last few days it runs and comes up with errors to fix, but when I click on Fix Problems it just hangs (not responding). I have tried uninstalling, downloading a new version and even installing into a new folder but this makes no difference. I am XP Home SP3 fully patched. I have run AdAware and SpySweeper with no problems and Malwarebytes anti-malware runs with no errors either. Any idea what might be going on?

Hello,

Which items are found in a scan that you want to fix?
    Do you have any other security protection active that could block this?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

It seems to be just assorted cookies (like HitBox etc) and it has cleaned them up previously. I have SpySweeper active all the time and that's never caused a problem before. I'm running Avast and ZoneAlarm free. I also used Spyware Doctor and that came up blank.

Hello,

Please deactive SpySweeper and the others during this scan.
    THen try again to fix the cookies.

If this does not help you can also simply avoid all third party cookies by following the appropriate tutorial listed here (first three):
    http://www.safer-networking.org/flas.../overview.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default More on problem

Very curious. I shut down SpySweeper properly but when I checked in Process Manager there was still an SS process present that would not shutdown. There were no other users on the computer. I rebooted into Safe Mode and the SS process present died nicely. After that SpyBot ran and successfully fixed all the "problems".
    The version of SS dates back to Nov 08, and I've run SpyBot successfully since then, so any ideas what might be going on, or do I have to check the Webroot site to see if they know about any interactions?
    Spybot also noted that AdAware was loaded, and said that could interfere, but I'm using the free version and that doesn't run all the time.

Using the third party disabling does seem to one way, but why should Spybot just hang at the Fixing stage (when it never did before)?