Thread: Cannot delete Temp Files in Use?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cannot delete Temp Files in Use?

When ever I start Spybot, it asks if I want to delete my temporary files. I always click yes and it says that I have 137 temporary files in use that cannot be deleted. I get this message even when I start spybot in safemode. I have already cleaned all my temp files with ccleaner and don't understand why I am getting this message. I have also run antivirus software, spybot, and malwarebytes, which have not found anything...

Could these "temp files" constantly in use be a be a virus/adware/malware/spyware????

Thanks!!

Could these "temp files" constantly in use be a be a virus/adware/malware/spyware????
    It's likely because of the Virtumonde trojan (from your Malware Forums thread).

I guess you'll have to get your machine cleaned up from the trojan and them remove the Temp. files from there, because Virtumonde can be a persistent infection.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

armyofme:

Another possible cause is that the files are simply locked to prevent deletion. Using Windows Explorer navigate to one of the files that can't be deleted. Right click on the file and select "Properties". Near the bottom of the "Properties" dialog look at the "Attributes". Make sure that the file is not marked as "Read only".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the speedy responses! I did have the evil Vunturmonde virus, which I was able to clear (at least it appears to be gone) with Malwarebytes, but I dare not try any further removal software until someone responds to my post in Malware removal forum...

Spywbot still says it cannot remove the temp files and I also cannot figure out What or Where these temp files are... all of my temp folders (except for C:\Temp\i386) are empty. and the C:\Temp\i386 folder has over 7000 files that have been there since i got this computer.

Should continue looking for malware? or is it normal to have temp files that are in use even in safe mode?

I've typed "temp" and "%temp%" (no quotes) in the Run command and it came up with two windows. The first one seems to do with Windows system itself, while the second one with percent signs seems to do with the current user.

I can try clearing them with CCleaner and see how it goes.

This doesn't apply all the time but sometimes it may do good to clear out the Temp folder because any malware can drop baddies into that folder.

I don't know yet, because I was about to tell you to reboot and clear them out, except I later realized that your Malware Forums thread was not answered yet .

I have a feeling that once your Malware Forums thread is fully resolved the temp files can be cleared.

Also, have you done what md usa spybot fan suggested in the previous posts?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

armyofme:

A little more of an explanation.

Most temporary files that are not related to Windows Internet Explorer cache files are located in either:
    • C:\WINDOWS\Temp (for Windows temporary files).
      --- or ---
    • C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\ (which in Window XP translates to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp for an individual user's temporary files).

As suggested by drragostea, to look at temporary files:
    • Click Start
    • Select Run
    • In the Open box, type "%temp%" (no quotes).
    • Click OK

A Windows Explorer window should open listing the files that Windows recognizes as temporary files (for that user account).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

yeah... my computer must still be infected. The number of "temp files in use" has gone up to 142 and some random file just appeared today in one of the temp folders, which I cannot delete. What makes me really nervous is that I seem to have got it just from being on the internet for literally 5 minutes and I only visited gmail and my school website (which i am sure do not have any malicious software).
    Guess i will wait for a response in the forum...

Thanks so much for your help!!