Thread: external drive

Exclamation external drive

I was just running spybot and was wondering if it is nessasary to scan an external drive? How do you go about doing that?

Thanks,
    kidboy

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There are no settings within Spybot to scan an external drive and it is not normally necessary. Unlike anti-virus programs and some other anti-spyware programs, Spybot does not do an in-depth scan of every file on the primary drive. For a brief description of how Spybot scans see:

There is a special scan for Spyware installers (files not installed yet) that can be limited to specific directories (actually it should be limited) which can be located on either internal or external drives. To activate this feature go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Directories and add directories. There is more on what this feature scans for here:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default You can scan external drives

It is possible to scan external drives with Spybot Search and Destroy it just isn't an obvious option. You will need to go to the settings button located on the left side of the interface. Under there will be an option called "Directories."

If for some reason you do not see these options you will first need to click on "Mode" at the top of the interface and select "Advanced Mode."

Under directories you can drag the folder into there and it will add it as a place where you store downloaded files and thus will include it in its scan. I hope this helps. I had this same worry earlier when I was fixing a computer at work.