Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Updater warning message.

Anyway, back to a working solution

If I delete updates\downloaded.ini and updates\lang*.zip file I can run

C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\sdupdate.exe" /autoupdate /autoclose

All works fine. No popup asking me to select update files first.

If I run it again, I get the pop up error message. Why ? No idea, something to do with the downloaded.ini file and the presence of language files methinks. Wiping out the existing files causes a full update to occur.

This is a hack, not a fix.

To summarise.

<PROGDIR> -= Where you installed SD&D , i.e.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy

1) Delete the existing update scheduled task.
    2) Create a new scheduled task in Windows Task Scheduler that deletes the downloaded.ini and lang*.zip files from the <PROGDIR>\updates directory and then does the normal update.
    3) Save the attached updatesd.txt as updatesd.cmd file into your <PROGDIR>
    4) Save the attached sdupdate.txt as sdupdate.xml on your desktop and import into Scheduled Tasks.

(Start up Task Scheduler from START->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM TOOLS->TASK SCHEDULER) Right click on Task Scheduler Library and choose Import. You may need to change credentials. If importing doesn't work, just create a new task and point it to the updatesd.cmd file.

5) Run the updatesd.cmd file once to test, it will clear down what it has to and refresh the updates.
    6) Run the task manually and see if it works. Check the update.log file in <PROGDIR>

Note that I output to update.log just so I can carry on seeing if the task runs o.k. from time to time.

Attachments are for Win7 64 , should work with Vista etc
    Save sdupdate.txt as sdupdate.xml: on your desktop and import into Task Scheduler.
    Save updatesd.txt as updatesd.cmd in <PROGDIR>

Attachment 6611
    Attachment 6610

I have attached a Test case.

Note the first two commands that delete the files first, then the update runs sucessfully.
    When the update runs again , without deleting those files, you get the popup asking to select files first.

Attachment 6612

Finally, try as I might, I could not get the cmd file to run if installed in the prog dir. It runs fine from my user dir.

Weird. The scheduler doesn't actually run the cmd file, but reports it as being run in the task history (I know it doesn't run, the log file does not get updated)

Kaspersky though, is reporting my cmd file as PDM.rootshell suspicious behaviour. I run many cmd files from the task scheduler, so this must be something to do with tampering or messing around in the Spybot directory...

Hmmm....

Default Updater won't work

I keep getting the error message 'Error retrieving update info file!' I'm running Windows Vista and haven't been able to update since I installed Spybot

Is there any other info in the error message after you see the 'Error retrieving update info file!' message?
    Also,please have a look here,and see if anything helps:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/61.html

Quote Originally Posted by JKelly View Post
    I tried the new file and the message went away but now a window with a bunch of flags appears and disappears on the screen before I can even read it much less click on anything and then the program just returns to its normal state.
    Why do I receive "update error - select files from the list" [link]

It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista.
    Just so the developers know, this problem also happens under Windows 7. I downloaded and replaced the file recommended for Vista, but like JKelly above, I get the flashing window he described.

However, if I click on the file directly or if I select “Search for updates...” from the menu by clicking on the tray icon, I can get the Update Search screen.

I did not need updates, so is the flashing screen behavior normal if no updates are needed? If so, could you please just have it hold it for a few seconds so people can read a message saying that no updates are needed?

Question

This is a very old thread into which I am jumping. But the problem still exists. I am running Spybot v1.6.2 on Windows 7/64 with administrative rights - in compatibility mode for Windows 7, in an attempt to eliminate this annoyance. Is there some alteration users are supposed to make to the updater's properties, in order to prevent it from generating the "Please select some update files..." popup dialog each time it makes its scheduled run?

There was an even earlier thread (from 2009?) with the same specific question that I have. And I tried the suggestions there. There is also a pointer to this thread.

So I apologize for posting the same question in two different threads.

Thanks!

Hello,

It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista/ Windows 7.
    You can solve the problem as follows:

1. Download this new SDUpdate.exe.

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

2. If this does not help go to your SDUpdate.exe file in your program folder: 
    C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Rightclick the file and choose properties.
    Then choose the tab compatibilty.
    There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

That should fix the problem.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Talking

Got it, thanks!

Default Fix, I think.

I was also getting this message even though I set up my program to run as administrator in the Properties of the icons. It still was giving me this message. So I have to manually Run as Administrator to open the program just to get updates. So try manually Run as Administrator by right clicking your icon and see if that fixes your issue.

Update: I tried to run that updater file in the above post and I got a bunch of errors running it but it did run and did update my program, I think. Most of the errors were "Can't load <filename>" I just hit OK everytime it happened and it continued. I think it's working fine now.
    Last edited by cgoodloe; 2012-10-09 at 18:49. Reason: Just an update on my condition.