Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updater warning message.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Updater warning message.

I have installed Spybot version 1.6.2 and set in the settings for when the program starts it check for new updates and immunize if there are any updates installed. The previous version would check and whether it had found any updates or not the program would start normally.

This version now gives this warning box - "Please select some update files from the list first."
    If I setup an automatic scan it will obviously hang at that message until I click the OK button. Is there a new setting somewhere or should I not use these settings in this way?

Hello? Anyone?

I have this problem too. I installed version 1.6.2.46 on 2 Vista machines and 1 XP machine. The XP machine works fine. The Vista machines display this warning with an automatic or manual update: "Please select some update files from the list first".

Notes:
    1. There is NO list of updates displayed to select from.
    2. I Never see the "Spybot S&D Updater" window when I click [Update], just the warning.
    3. It may only display the warning when it is already "Up to date" because I don't think it did it on the first update (current detection = 1/28/09).
    4. I am running it with administrator priviledges.

Did I say some wrong? Why wont any one respond to my problem?

i to am curious as to why this seems to be happening to only the vista machines
    (i got two XP's a home and a pro and they don't seem to be seeing this) like the one I'm using to type this message

Its happening to me on my vista machine also.

Add to that if I try to stop a scan that has auto started so that I can get to the program interface it just freezes after I hit the stop button.

Is it still possible to obtain the prior release?

Default Possible workaround for warning message

I was having the same problem on my Vista machine as the OP but not in my XP machines. I was getting the Warning window that said "Please select some update files from the list first.", but there was nothing to select.

I tried downloading a fresh copy, uninstalling Spybot, rebooting deleting the Program folder and reinstalling. This still didn't solve the problem.

This morning I had the Ah Ha to try setting the compatibility mode on SpybotSD.exe to XP service pack 2 (the only option I had).

Voila no more warning window.

Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperRose View Post
    I was having the same problem on my Vista machine as the OP but not in my XP machines. I was getting the Warning window that said "Please select some update files from the list first.", but there was nothing to select.

I tried downloading a fresh copy, uninstalling Spybot, rebooting deleting the Program folder and reinstalling. This still didn't solve the problem.

This morning I had the Ah Ha to try setting the compatibility mode on SpybotSD.exe to XP service pack 2 (the only option I had).

Voila no more warning window.

Hope this help.
    Interesting, so technically the newest release is no longer truly vista compatible. Can you stop an in-progress scan without spybot locking up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ncguy View Post
    Interesting, so technically the newest release is no longer truly vista compatible. Can you stop an in-progress scan without spybot locking up?
    i can update now with out the error message in XP SP2 mode, however there are no newer updates available, maybe ill wait a week and see what happens.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

AU518987077:

Quote Originally Posted by AU518987077 View Post
    ... maybe ill wait a week and see what happens.
    There are normally updates each Wednesday. So, you can try again tomorrow.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.