Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Updater warning message.

Quote Originally Posted by AU518987077 View Post
    i can update now with out the error message in XP SP2 mode, however there are no newer updates available, maybe ill wait a week and see what happens.
    Yes, but can you can you hit the stop scan button during a spyware scan of your PC?

I can confirm that setting spybot to run in compatibilty mode (XP SP2) that the message no longer appears on Vista x64.
    I will also report back when updates are available and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncguy View Post
    Can you stop an in-progress scan without spybot locking up?
    I started a scan and was able to stop it with out problem. Normally I have a scheduled scan so hadn't tried this before.

With compatibilty mode setting (XP SP2) Spybot updated normally and does not give the warning message "Please select some update files from the list first.".

I shut off compatibility mode and reran spybot and the message returned.
    So there is some definate compatibilty issue with the updater or spybot.

Just a heads up, the compatibility prompt has to do with Lavasoft's AdAware, not really the updater.

Do you (who have this problem on Vista) have UAC disabled?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

@drragostea: I do not not use nor have Lavasoft's Adaware.

@PepiMK: I have tested with UAC enabled and disabled and either way the message appears.

Only running in compatibility mode (XP SP2) has stopped the message box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncguy View Post
    Yes, but can you can you hit the stop scan button during a spyware scan of your PC?
    nope was a fluke, it only worked that one time, nwo when i put it to xp compatibiltiy it will still do the "please select a file form teh blah blah blah"

however i havent had any problem stopping a scan without freezing up (program or os)

Going to BUMP until solved....

Default Same here & possible workaround

A possible workaround: the "Update Spybot-S&D" entry in my Start menu is set to run as an administrator. It appears that if I open the updater directly from the Start menu, it seems to work correctly. (IE it presents its UI, does not present an error message, and lets me go through a normal update process. However, I need to wait a week and see if it will actually find updates).

Another possible workaround: In Settings > Settings > Web Update UNcheck "Search the web for new versions at each program start". (With this checked, the accursed dialog box shows up at startup, before the "Loading Spybot" progress bar completes, and the dialog also appears every time I click the "Update" or "Search for Updates" buttons. With this UNchecked, manually clicking either of those buttons causes the updater to successfully launch)

Some background:

I am experiencing this problem as well, on Vista Ultimate 32 bit, from an administrator account, with UAC enabled. I ran the installer as an administrator.

If I run Spybot as an administrator, I get the described behavior. If I do not run it as an administrator, clicking the "update" button appears to have no effect at all. I would be happy to provide more information if necessary.
    Last edited by adipisicing; 2009-03-07 at 22:20. Reason: Added second possible workaround