Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Updater warning message.

Default Update Problem resolved

Spybot 1.6.2 Vista Home Premium SP1
    As stated above, used ok on this vista machine since Sept 2007.
    Update problem and freeze on interrupt developed in March or April 2009.
    None of the fixes (replacing sdupdate.exe, admin privs, XP compatibility mode) fixed the problems.
    HOW I FIXED IT:
    I uninstalled Spybot.
    I downloaded a fresh copy of version 1.6.2 and installed.
    I now can update and interrupt scanning without problems.

Default Possible Fix

Opened up the scheduler in Vista (32bit with UAC disabled) and on the Properties | General page of the task that Spybot created for updater through the Spybot interface, I changed the Configure For: to "Windows Vista or Windows Server2008" from "Windows XP..." (dropdown at the bottom of pane), saved, entered admin credentials and ran the task; no error displayed.

Problem is I won't be able to see if it worked until an update is out.

I'm having the same problem in WINXP-Home SP3 - I hae 5 machines configured similarly, and 3 of them have the problem. The patch updater doesn't seem to help. Help?
    /j

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
    I'm having the same problem in WINXP-Home SP3 - I hae 5 machines configured similarly, and 3 of them have the problem. The patch updater doesn't seem to help. Help?
    /j
    Did you already try a complete uninstall and a new, fresh installation on these three computers? Don't update Spybot during the installation and tell me if that helps.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Did you already try a complete uninstall and a new, fresh installation on these three computers? Don't update Spybot during the installation and tell me if that helps.
    Hmmm... look here - same thing (kind of) -
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=351942
    "Click-bang, what a hang, my SpyBot just shot poor me..." (to paraphrase Hendrix)

Default Same problem, no solution

I'm not a closeted e-necropostiphile, I swear. But, I just ran into the same problem as described earlier in the thread, where the program refused to update. Also as per the thread, I did a complete uninstall/reinstall--but no go. I see, for but a moment, the mirror list (the window with all the flags, as was phrased elsewhere in this thread), then it disappears.

Frankly, I'm at a loss. I've looked around the internet (which led me here in the first place), and per this other thread, I downloaded that .exe and replaced the one in the Program Files-> Spybot folder, which got me further, but still no go. It still hangs on start-up, and I still can't update (though I, perhaps obviously, no longer get the warning about needing to select some update files).

Once again, I'm at a loss. I love Spybot. I love it. I want to have its robo-pirate-ninja-monkey-zombie babies, I really do. But--I don't know what to do, and nothing I've found so far seems to help. I've messed with the Properties-> Compatablity thing. I've downloaded and extracted the alternate .exe. I've completely reinstalled the program.

I will, of course, continue to look for help on my own, but I'm hoping that breathing life into this thread will let the developers (who are fanastically awesome and made of win) will see it's an on-going issue.

Default Update

Update, and apparently I'm a drooling idiot who couldn't find the edit button for my last post. Anyway!

So I was following the Vista suggestions given in this and had gotten to the part where it says to find the one randomly-named .scr file, and run as administrator.

I actually found three. BVZXZKYUTGM, RQPGMQUEMKXABXDTX, and TNLUEKVBWMDK, for what it's worth. I right-clicked, as per instructions, but could not find the Run as Administrator option. I scanned the right-click menu closely, and even looked through the Properties menu, but to no avail.

Semi-randomly (actually, based on the advice for Win2K users), I double-clicked the three files. The first and third, nothing. The second, however--it popped up "Spybot - S&D Updator". Surprised, I clicked Search. I was told there were no new updates. I re-double-clicked, and this tim checked the box for also adding beta updates. This brought up the mirror list (the window with the flags), and--it stayed right there. I selected a mirror (the first Safer-Networking one, to be precise), and it seemed to download just fine.

So I started up Spybot proper again. It hanged for just a moment, in a flash it opened then closed the update window, then loaded up the main U.I. Clicking Search for Updates again got that flash of the updating menu.

Now, I obviously don't know for sure, but I believe I found a back-door to the updating. Yes, it's completely bass-ackward, but it might just have to suffice until a fix is found.

Unhappy Same on Windows 7

Windows 7 Home Premium

Have used S&D on this system before with no issues. The problem started after the last update which I did perhaps 3- 4 weeks ago - can't remember exactly.

First I got the error message dialogue box, then I downloaded the new SDUpdate. Now there is no error message, and the download locations box pops up then disappears again. It does not respond to mouse clicks before it disappears.

Have set both the main program and SDUpdate to run in XP compatibility mode and also to run as administrator - makes no difference.
    Last edited by UUizard; 2010-03-11 at 09:42.

Default can't extract file

i can't extract this file.
    an error message popped up. something about cannot delete the output file.
    i've already closed the s&d window.

Thumbs up Fix for scheduled update issues

I had the same problem in Windows 7 - 64 bit

"Please select some update files from the list first."

This is generated by the Windows scheduled task added when you add an updater task in the advanced settings menu.

It did not happen when I ran SS&D interactively.

Perhaps it was the way the command lines were passed ,i.e. the directory name or the parameters , but I removed the Default Scheduled task from Windows Task Scheduler and added my own.

My own task simply called a script file and ran daily.

The contents of the script (UpdateSD.cmd) were...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Update.exe" /autoupdate /autoclose >> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\update.log"

Note , the encapsulating quotes are very important.

This job runs and updates fine now.

YMMV