Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Former Microsoft MVP (RIP) siljaline's Avatar

Cool Suggestions

Hi,
    Nice to see an independant SpyBot Forum away from Net-Integration
    Could I suggest a Test area for new users to scribble stuff, that's usually de-facto for most Boards.
    I'd also like to see a Board News area, too, upcoming events, etc.

Regards,
    Silj

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Since siljaline suggested a "... a Test area for new users to scribble stuff ..." and had to post that suggestion in the Spybot-S&D Forum, perhaps a "Safer Networking Forums" "Suggestion and/or Feedback" area (forum/sub-forum) would be appropriate.

Respectfully submitted,
    md usa spybot fan

Esteemed Member

Default Are these forums permanent?

I can only agree if these forums are intended to be permanent.

No one has addressed that question at this point and if Net-Integration returns, I'm not sure it's a good idea to have two 'official' forum sites. The more that is built here, the harder it is to close it down if that is the plan.

Until this determination is made, I'd keep the complexity here to a minimum. I'm treating these forums as an emergency temporary replacement until it is officially stated otherwise by Patrick himself.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index....dpost&p=310269

Apluswebmaster posted the above,if you haven't seen it.

Esteemed Member

Thanks Zenobia, I hadn't, though that's what I had assumed.

It still, however, doesn't address what is intended for these forums once NI is fully back in operation. It would be nice if Patrick would address that so we know how much effort should be expended here.

The other thing that would have been appropriate is for Patrick and/or Eagle1 to have posted a simple pinned thread to that effect here. Speculation can't occur if official notice is given. There is the following posted at NI, but that won't even be reached by those who've saved a direct link to the NI forums and don't realize why it's broken as we did.

http://net-integration.net/forums.html

I had some thoughts/concerns/questions too. I posted to that thread at SWI as well as @ http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=17226

I wasn't going to raise any off topic querries here but since there are already a couple of threads on the subject, there are some very puzzling aspects to all this going on.

Like;
    Why did NI move to a low level host instead of just to another box as would be standard procedure with any server farm?

Why were all other domains shut down without even notifying the owners/users.

How could any kind of crash cause this kind of down time? My box could completely burn up and I'd be back in a matter of hours using my backups.

Since it seems totally unfeasible to try to maintain two support boards, why this board?

Sorry guys, these kind of questions just tend to fuel the curiosity in me as well as others.

Esteemed Member

Though I'm just as curious as you about the reasons, I know they're really none of my business. My only concern is the smoothest transition possible to and from the assumed temporary location here.

We (knowledgeable users, admins) all know there can be complex side effects to such database failures that extend downtime, and again they're really none of our business though we'd really like to be 'in the know'. The only expectation we can reasonably have is that we'll be informed of alternatives and what is intended.

In this case I feel we have had to try to glean this information from snippets of information located in several, often unoffical, locations. The only official links from the main Spybot S&D Support page and at the NI Forums page each give only partial information.

The only thing I'd really like to see is a two sentence explanation pinned here that states this is the official temporary SS&D site and that it will be closed once NI is back up and fully functional, which seems to be what is planned. At this point I'm making this statement as a partially informed guess and I don't like doing that. Until someone from the Team or Eagle1 states something more official, this is what I have to assume.

http://www.spybot.info/en/news/2005-10-24.html

Due to software problems (you may remember that the Net-Integration forum was using Invision PowerBoard, which we wrote about a few weeks ago), health problems of our U.S. administrator and reorganization of support staff, we've set up new support forums on our Safer Networking servers. The hopefully last setup has been made today, and we encourage you to use it as much as you did on the Net-Integration site.
    Seems a bit more permanent.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

re:
    ... (you may remember that the Net-Integration forum was using Invision PowerBoard, which we wrote about a few weeks ago) ...
    See:
    Possible privacy violation in one of the major bulletin board systems
    http://www.spybot.info/en/news/2005-09-12.html

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey
    Seems a bit more permanent.
    Indeed it does.

Congratulations Team Spybot. Thank you for providing a very professional site for obtaining assistance.
    Windows Insider MVP * * * Microsoft MVP, 2006-20016

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!